Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
  • I love Asian literature and couldn’t resist when I saw Shanghai Girls by Lisa See in the bestseller section of the bookstore
  • As a granddaughter of a Chinese immigrant as well, it is very interesting for me to read about what life had probably been like back then, and what my grandparents probably had to go through to give me the comfortable life I have now
  • I would recommend anyone to read this book

• by TheCity

I love Asian literature and couldn’t resist when I saw Shanghai Girls by Lisa See in the bestseller section of the bookstore. Shanghai Girls is a story of two sisters whose comfortable and modern-for-their-day Shanghai lives were uprooted by their father’s gambling, and the war. As payment for their father’s debts, they were married off to Chinese who were US citizens. The book tells of their lives in Shanghai, their family, their tumultuous journey to US amidst the war, and their newfound lives in the US with their new husbands and family.

I liked the book because of two things: first, although the characters are a bit sterotypical, they were very

well-developed and relatable. Lisa See was able to portray the various characters in a holistic way; as their own individual person, as a sister, a wife, a daughter. You can see the various aspects of their personality and as such, it gives ground for a rich and multi-dimensional story. Like most Asian lit, this one is about women; their inherent strength, and the details and emotions that go unnoticed with most men. I suppose that the book would attract mostly female readers, but I would love to have men read it as well.

Second, the Chinese culture is so rich that it is always a pleasure to delve into it; ...

• rickshaw pullers, the immigration wave, the family dynamics, paintings, 1920’s Shanghai, etc. Shanghai Girls has a wealth of it, and shows some aspects that are not present in most other books. The writing is very descriptive; while reading, you will be able to imagine how it must have been back then.

The story, although intriguing, is not really something new or creative. Pick up any 5 Chinese literature books in the bookstore and you’re sure to have at least a couple of stories about sisters, journeys to America, war, and stuff like that. However, there is a reason why writers love to write about this, and readers pick the books up.

These stories delve into culture and history; there are really not enough books to tackle everything completely, and the stories are always very interesting.

All in all, Shanghai Girls by Lisa See is a very good book, and it takes you back to those times when the Chinese migrated all over the world to look for a better life. As a granddaughter of a Chinese immigrant as well, it is very interesting for me to read about what life had probably been like back then, and what my grandparents probably had to go through to give me the comfortable life I have now. I would recommend anyone to read this book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1718111332390930/k2311a1118/11.18.10