Joy Ride, movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I thought that this film follows in a similar vein of “The Hitch Hiker,” yet still brought some new things to the screen that I was genuinely pleased with
  • I know it’s a movie, but the story was to thin for me not to want to poke holes all the way through it

• by Ryan Carter

Joy ride is the tale of road trippers on the way home from college for the summer. It starts Steve Zahn, Paul Walker and LeeLee Sobieski. I thought that this film follows in a similar vein of “The Hitch Hiker,” yet still brought some new things to the screen that I was genuinely pleased with. However, even after two viewings, I still can’t get on board with this movie for anything other than a one time thrill ride.

I liked the idea, two brothers who haven’t seen each other in years,

getting together for a long ride home. Zahn’s character is an instant trouble maker with a good heart, and Walker decides it’s worth the trouble to reconnect with his brother. After a quick trip to the jail to post bail for Zahn, we see the two off to another school to pick up Walker’s love interest and the real journey begins.

I liked the idea of this movie, and I thought there were some genuinely good moments, but part of me just couldn’t get on board with LeeLee and Paul’s relationship.

• Although Walker isn’t a bad actor, I can’t think of anything good to say about him either. He looks, talks and walks stiff, and it doesn’t bode well for the storie’s more tense moments. It also took a while for the real action to build up, and when it did, I didn’t feel the earlier scenes built up enough tension to pull out the overall story line.

I couldn’t help but think to myself, how does the antagonist keep finding them, and why aren’t these two guys listening in on the

radio to see if he is asking about them or trying to throw him off the trail? I know it’s a movie, but the story was to thin for me not to want to poke holes all the way through it.

Overall, I still think this movie is worth a once through and would be great to kill a lonely Friday night. However, the acting is poor, the story thin, and other than a couple of scenes, I couldn’t help but think that the brothers were deserving in the trucker’s rage at them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117111331800630/k2311a1117/11.17.10