The Aviator, movie  » Movies  »
  • Either way, I was deeply interested in this movie and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good drama and/or period piece

• by Ryan Carter

You could call this a match made in heaven. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese team up for the “Aviator” and managed to surprise me on all fronts with an excellent drama that viewers can’t help but like. With the real life of Howard Hughes so cloaked by his own doing, it was nice to see a movie that does the genius and eccentricities of the man honor. Whether or not you like or appreciate Mr. Hughes, you won’t be able to do anything

but be moved by the portrayal of him in this film.

Part mad man, part genius, the life of Howard Hughes dominated almost every single decade that he was around for. His intensity, curiosity and obsessions are all thrown before us in this film. I still can’t decide whether I admire him or despise him after viewing this film. Either way, I was deeply interested in this movie and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good drama and/or period piece.

Aside from Leo’s portrayal ...

• of Hughes, which is worthy of the highest regards, particularly when his portrayed illness and obsessive compulsive order comes full force during a self imposed lockdown and mental breakdown, the supporting caste is outstanding. But, while Cate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale are brilliant as Hughes’s movie star love interests, the real jewel of the group was John C. Reilly.

I didn’t think I would like him in such a role, but he played the manager and life long friend perfectly. It was a quiet

performance given many of the other movies that I have seen him in, and I loved seeing him step up and fill in such an important and non-comedic role.

This is one of those films that I will always remember and value. From making me want to be at the premier of Hughes’s first film, to seeing his mental collapse, I truly wanted to be in that time. I would recommend this film to anyone and can think of absolutely nothing to say against it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117111331620530/k2311a1117/11.17.10