Walgreens Ketone Test Strips 50 count  » Health  »
  • Although I am not required to check ketones in my urine, I am diabetic and sometimes I like the reassurance that I am ok if my blood sugar has gotten high for some reason
  • It comes in a vial with a flip top, which is convenient
  • One potential problem with strips that are not individually wrapped is that if they are not airtight in the container, and moisture gets to them, it can render them useless
  • I recommend these strips to anyone trying out a low carb diet and wanting to monitor ketones, or diabetics who need to monitor them for health reasons

• by reviewabit

Although I am not required to check ketones in my urine, I am diabetic and sometimes I like the reassurance that I am ok if my blood sugar has gotten high for some reason. The last time I ended up in the emergency room with an allergic reaction, I was given steroids which ran my glucose through the roof. I felt better that I had some strips at home to check for ketones, just to be safe.

The first time I ever used

ketone strips was before I became diabetic. I was doing the Atkins diet, and you can check for ketones (benign ones) to see if you are in the fat-burning stage or “dietary ketosis.

” Back then, the only brand I was seeing on the shelf was the Bayer Ketostix, and they were pretty expensive. The Walgreens brand is much more affordable, and a box of fifty lasts a long time.

It comes in a vial with a flip top, which is convenient. If I remember correctly, the Bayer sticks were individually wrapped.

It’s not that it takes that much time to open the wrappers, but it is easier to use something that you don’t have much fuss or waste with. As far as I can tell, these strips have been accurate.

There have been days where I went on a semi-Atkins kind of weekend diet, so either lose some water weight, or get my blood sugars back down after a high period. I’ve always gotten readings from these that ...

•    Walgreens Ketone Test Strips 50 count
      I expected to see, based on my diet or what blood sugar readings I had been getting recently.

It also comes with a control solution to check for accuracy. One potential problem with strips that are not individually wrapped is that if they are not airtight in the container, and moisture gets to them, it can render them useless.

I have not had this problem with these strips, but it has been a concern with other types of products that are packaged this way. For

example, pool chem-strips are notorious for going “bad” and becoming unreliable if they get tainted by moisture.

It’s just something to think about. I keep my strips in an area where there is no moisture, away from the bathroom.

I recommend these strips to anyone trying out a low carb diet and wanting to monitor ketones, or diabetics who need to monitor them for health reasons. The price is excellent and Walgreens is a good company.

I have no complaints about their private brand products.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415111328810230/k2311a1115/11.15.10