MAC 131 Duo Fibre Powder and Blush Brush  » Cosmetics  »
  • I love using this brush because it covers nicely while sweeping off excess powder
  • From what I know, the bristles are composed to 2 layers, you can make out the 2 toned color of the brush
  • I think the capstone of this brush, in which it works better than most of my brushes, is precision
  • I like to perform a ‘nose job’ by contouring its sides and the brush is my favorite tool to work with
  • I highly recommend this brush if you prefer high-def makeup and want to keep the quirks

• by jhunie

I’ve acquired only a number of cosmetic brushes, until I’ve learned enough about makeup to use them. I just enjoy the expertly feel of employing brushes and the efficiency of getting it done. I realized I was keeping much of those result-specific brushes like tiny concealer, lip and angled liner brushes, yet I don’t really own a comprehensive array of all-around powder brushes, other than a tapered foundation brush and an old kabuki brush. I was able to save big time after buying this MAC 131 duo fibre brush at multiply’s marketplace. I stumbled at an ad while stressing over the site’s poor search engine. I was running a fruitless search on hair dryers but the results presented were not relevant. To make most out of the shipping costs, I just squeezed this to my purchase.

To start with the basics, the MAC 131 fares average when it comes to applying face powders. I’m currently digging my loose mineral foundation and the brush carries out the job okay. It takes extra sweeps to really distribute the powder. I want the bristles to be a bit firmer though just like my buffing brushes. It seems too soft to achieve an air brushed finish. The brush makes a great pairing with my blotting powder. You know how blotting powder sets

like baking flour on the face, I find my regular powder brush merely sets the powder and the coverage appears too thick. I love using this brush because it covers nicely while sweeping off excess powder.

Every person does make up one way or another so my opinions here may not relate to all. I encourage you to get artful with your own techniques, but the biggest question here is – is the brush customizable? I do find the brush to be conducive for experimenting with makeup in different mediums and it gives me a lot of creative freedom, as much as a painter’s brush on a blank canvass. 131 works equally well in brushing liquid foundation. I love the feel of the brush as it falls flat on the face and the bristles don’t drag the pigments, rather they thin out the foundation so it produces an even tint. I’ll appoint this tool as my next foundation brush soon.

The brush is more compact than my puffy Allison rafaele brush, with a neutral size – neither big nor too small. The 131 has enough breadth without being too bushy and the bristles are flatter against 3 dimensional brushes. Its bristles are quite dense, giving a refined texture in brushing fluid makeup, whereas buttery mousse foundations require plenty of criss-cross swirls to improve ...

• the patchy finish. The bare texture of the bristles is so fur-like. It’s quite soft. The bristles seldom scratch my skin. From what I know, the bristles are composed to 2 layers, you can make out the 2 toned color of the brush. The longer bristles are synthetic fibres and the short ones are natural. Hence, a hybrid of both organic and man-made brushes. What I admire generally about MAC’s brushes is their durability, the ferrules don’t turn cranky.

I think the capstone of this brush, in which it works better than most of my brushes, is precision. I don’t know why I’m attracted to fat powder brushes. While they mainly excel in buffing dry mediums such as loose powders, they take a beating on focused techniques because of their wide coverage. For instance, it’s difficult to apply contouring blushes using a kabuki brush as I’m likely to overdo it. I find it easier to execute controlled strokes with this brush and it works best for adding angular flourishes. I have angular features and the brush enables me to highlight them. In that vein, 131 makes a favorable tool in applying small highlighting accents to my makeup since the medium size of the brush dispenses just the right amount. I can gauge the finish by using

the brush. Sometimes, discerning the amount of powder loaded on the brush becomes an instinctive gift, but other brushes just pour out all the pigments on the skin upon application regardless how diminutive the amount, this brush builds the intensity of the color stroke by stroke. I like to perform a ‘nose job’ by contouring its sides and the brush is my favorite tool to work with.

No matter how talented the brush is, of course in the real world, it can’t accommodate to do everything. Other users of the brush dub it as a multi-tasking tool, but it’s hard to joggle between applications of using one brush at once, especially if you’re using both liquid and dry formulas in one sitting. I began to squeeze this in my makeup grind starting with my tinted moisturizer, then liquid foundation and the rest was history. I can’t use it to apply both my liquid foundation and powder foundation at once, it gets messier. I stick to my trusted foundation brushes but I practically have room for this brush considering its accurate application. I snagged it for half the retail price (30 dollars). I highly recommend this brush if you prefer high-def makeup and want to keep the quirks. I give my recommendation substantially for its high quality too and not because it’ll simplify your makeup endeavors.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3112111328130330/k2311a1112/11.12.10