Bugslock Natural Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band  » Health  »
  • Unfortunately, it’s not a valid reason for me to stop using insect repellents because all the more it can lead to dire consequences
  • The only problem now is that I haven’t found a stable supply of these repellents so I’d probably be sourcing them online the next time
  • I believe the disguised aroma of the band plays a key role in its bug repelling property
  • I don’t consider this a good choice if you’re seeking for a passive repellent that you can use at night given its limited number of hours
  • This is certainly not the best bug repellent I’ve had the pleasure of using, but it wins big time due to its chemical-free formula

• by jhunie

Most topical bug repellents are unfriendly to my skin. They trigger minor allergies. Unfortunately, it’s not a valid reason for me to stop using insect repellents because all the more it can lead to dire consequences. People in my vicinity are falling ill to a mosquito-inflicted disease. Apparently, these bands are selling like hotcakes in my neighborhood. Okay, it was a repellent bracelet. I wasn’t utterly persuaded with such clip-on or strap-on products as I expected them all to be purely chemical-based. I later found out that these Bugslock wrist bands were produced from natural sources. It’s a band you either wear on the arm as a bracelet or down the ankle.

As far as accessorizing goes, I’m not really crazy about wearing bug repelling bands everywhere but I do like their punchy colors. Mine has a cool blue color. The feel of the wrist band is growing on me, I don’t know what to think of wearing sporty wrist bands with their rubbery feel but this repellent doesn’t feel any different. The band is simply a long strip of fabric. The material is rather very thin and gets wrinkly after repeated use. I first saw pictures of this online and I was expecting the wrist band to

be more solid. The mosquito repellent seems to be made of a velvety canvass-like material but much thinner. Lately, I saw another version of this product. It was improved and the strips resembled leather. The only problem now is that I haven’t found a stable supply of these repellents so I’d probably be sourcing them online the next time.

I often wear pants at home and outdoors. I’ve worn them as wrist bands to protect my arms from mosquito bites. I worry if the repellent covers a wide range of protection from head to toe. There’s one instance when I saw a mosquito flittering close down my knees while wearing the band. I usually strap the repellent on every time I go for a walk with my dog, in my backyard and away. I do this occasionally in the afternoon – the prevalent time when swarms of mosquitoes come out. I can say the repellent fairly works. Even indoors, it’s infuriating to be scratching myself at night as I go over important things in front of the computer outside my room. I just really hate seeing a red blemish in my skin. I don’t hear mosquitoes wheezing past me. Mosquitoes typically land and bite on my arms,

• I either get less bites or none at all. The significant advantage of using this simple repellent is the non-topical method of using it, without applying chemicals into the skin.

It is ideal for people like me whose skin reacts to topical repellents.

At home, we have a small outdoor kitchen in the backyard where we sometimes do the cooking. I deliberately wore the repellent there to evade mosquitoes. The repellent proved to be effective because no mosquito bites ensued afterwards. The mosquito repellent lasts barely 2 weeks (approximately 10 days), it depends how long you use the band periodically. I think it lasts only 240 hours. But you can economize the product by making it stretch for a couple more days, the packaging states that the repellent bracelet must be stored back to the sealed packet it originally came with. So once I’m done wearing the bracelet, I just put it inside the ziplocked plastic to prevent it from depleting. The band releases the repellent by air and needs to be sealed in order to preserve it after use.

This chemical-free repellent uses 100 percent essential oils. I can’t furnish a complete list of its vegetal ingredients because of the Korean labels printed on the packaging, but I’m quite certain it includes

lavender oils. No deet is present in this product. The mosquito band smells of lemons and strongly reminds me of burt’s bees sprays and citronella. It’s hard to distinguish an organic aroma within the scent, although there’s warmth in the smell which differs from soapy and cool fragrances. It smells quite similar to the dishwashing liquid I’m currently using as well. It would’ve been nice if the product’s supposedly aromatic oils were not masked by the citrusy scent, I’d rather smell the calming aroma of Lavender oil to add a therapeutic effect. The scent tends to linger while I’m wearing the repellent on my wrist. It doesn’t bother me though, as it smells a lot like commercial household products. I believe the disguised aroma of the band plays a key role in its bug repelling property. I’d like it to smell a wee bit organic.

I purchased 3 of these bands for 5 dollars. I don’t consider this a good choice if you’re seeking for a passive repellent that you can use at night given its limited number of hours. I only recommend it for active outdoor activities. This is certainly not the best bug repellent I’ve had the pleasure of using, but it wins big time due to its chemical-free formula.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3411111327460830/k2311a1111/11.11.10