Don’t Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor  » Books  »
  • Don't Shoot The Dog is very clear on one major point and it is a point that doubtless many will find hard to agree with or to swallow, the fact is that punishment - as a way of trying to shape behaviour - is a waste of time

• by locolady

Prepare to be surprised - this book has hidden depths! I had to read it more than once before the full power of this book hit me.

I may have purchased it whilst studying canine behaviour but the real force of the books message is that the technique described can be used on anything and anyone - not just dogs! Apply it to cats, birds, mice, the kids, colleagues, partners, even your parents or yourself - the list is

endless.

So what is this book all about? Simply put using - positive reinforcement in training new behaviour or for that matter ending unwanted behaviour. Don’t Shoot The Dog is very clear on one major point and it is a point that doubtless many will find hard to agree with or to swallow, the fact is that punishment - as a way of trying to shape behaviour - is a waste of time. Totally and utterly fruitless.

Karen Pryor (the ...

• author) writes in a clear, concise style and the animal training anecdotes which appear regularly throughout the book made me laugh - embarrassingly enough out loud at times - out loud and in public places!!

I feel it necessary to emphasise that this is not just a dog training book but a manual and philosophy for solving the problems in your life caused by the behaviour of another - two or four legged. It is a motivator for anyone

and explains well why positive reinforcement is the only way to train.

When I grasped the power of this message I realised that any behaviour can be broken down into bite sized pieces, trained for and achieved. I’ve successfully put this technique to work in my business and even on myself.

Very valuable information not just for those who are involved with our four legged friends but teachers, coaches and manager alike - a copy should be on everyones shelves.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1710111325170830/k2311a1110/11.10.10