Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds  » Books  »
  • Essentially it is a review of a number of the popular crazes of the eighteenth and nineteenth century some - like Tulip Mania - which are well known, others considerably less so, but none the less very interesting to read about
  • Some of the crazes written about are nothing short of mind boggling and it is hard to imagine that they ever really happened, but lets just consider for a moment what we have replaced then with

• by locolady

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & The Madness of Crowds was on a recommended reading list given to me a few years ago at a course that I attended on trading the financial markets. As I wanted to learn as much as I could on the topic I worked my through the list.

When you start to read this book it is not patently obvious that you can apply it to what they call the ‘making of the markets’ but by the time you have finished you most certainly will have had a very good read. It makes

the point that financial crashes such as we are experiencing now and not only cyclical but government induced. So if you think that any government will ever put in place regulations which will stop this happening - dream on.

Dating back over one hundred years this book is timeless in its contents, it is easy to read enjoyable and yes relevant to the modern day.

• but none the less very interesting to read about.

It’s continued relevance is demonstrated by the equivalent fads of our own times such as crop circles, alien abductions and the dot com bubble - as absurd as duelling or Witch Mania was back then.

Some of the crazes written about are nothing short of mind boggling and it is hard to imagine that they ever really happened, but lets just consider for a moment what we have replaced then with. In time will people in the future look back at todays crazes and say the same?

The tone

of the book is dry and subtly sarcastic. It is a very amusing book to read - a wry smile creeping across my face more than once. It can also become quite a compulsive read as it becomes more and more obvious that man has not learnt from his mistakes. We are still essentially greedy and looking to get rich quick, I’m sure that until we learn from our mistakes crashes will continue as regularly as the day breaks every day.

It’s well worth the time and money spent to look into what odd beings we are!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1710111325160830/k2311a1110/11.10.10