Simply Pretty by Avon Lipstick and Lip Gloss Duo  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • I don’t particularly consider myself a person of discriminating taste
  • Between the uninteresting possibilities of using the product, I think its most practicable purpose is reduced down to being a lip gloss only, and not really as a full coverage lipstick, much less an opaque lip color, overall
  • In that sense, I will agree that the desired look is possible with the duo
  • I like the cream tint of the lip gloss paired over the lackluster lipstick

• by jhunie

I don’t particularly consider myself a person of discriminating taste. I’m always game to try whatever stuff there is. I’d be a hypocrite consumer if I shun away from a product such as this, Simply Pretty lipstick and lip gloss duo from Avon. I got it together with a few other things as a friendly token from a kind friend who sells avon products. I always get attracted by the concept of multitasking beauty products. Avon’s lipstick and lip gloss duo comes in one compact stick, I was actually looking for the eye liner and shadow pairing I read in someone’s beauty blog, but failed to get one. While mulling over what makes this versatile product tick, I couldn’t put forth a definitive answer.

I stand unimpressed by the lipstick. To describe the shade, the gamut runs somewhere between the mauve-taupe colors, so you shouldn’t expect the lipstick to look any bolder. It’s like the washed out tint of lip conditioners. The lipstick is red but something you can put under the nude category. It’s more like a sheer stain than a lipstick. It took a couple of swipes to make the lipstick work. The lipstick was badly pigmented. I ran it over the back of my hand to make a

quick swatch, it was weird because the lipstick had a balm texture, similar to wax. I was waiting for the lipstick to somehow show a more defined shade to redeem itself, but it’s still quite sheer. The lipstick was not so creamy in texture, but it’s compensated by the soothing emollient consistency of the lip gloss.

Inversely, the lip gloss is okay. The lip gloss is the same as transparent gloss, but amplified by shimmers. It’s also very sheer. My upper lip is slightly darker than my lower lip. I liked how the lip gloss evened out the varying tones of my mouth – the soft way. The shimmer particles suspended on the transparent gloss tend to accumulate inside the mouth; they form a line on the inner lips, sort of the foam or milk that adheres on the upper lip when you drink latte. Anyhow, it can be remedied by using the wand to evenly spread the lip gloss. At first, I was rather unnerved by the milky sheen reflecting on my mouth, but after much consideration, I realized the duo aimed to create that wine kissed effect. I loved the milky paleness of its tint and the unassuming glimmer of the shimmers.

Between the uninteresting possibilities of using the product, I think its ...

• most practicable purpose is reduced down to being a lip gloss only, and not really as a full coverage lipstick, much less an opaque lip color, overall. Perhaps I can make use of the lipstick as a lightly tinted balm, but it’s not at all stimulating my creative imagination. To be fair, I actually find the shimmer lip gloss charming. Despite the poor color pay-off of the lipstick, the duo actually has chemistry together. I almost forgot that this product from Avon was explicitly labeled ‘simply pretty’ so it’s supposed to embody a sweet, effortless effect. In that sense, I will agree that the desired look is possible with the duo. I like the cream tint of the lip gloss paired over the lackluster lipstick. The result is very subtle yet effective. The pale slick finish is likeable. However, after reflecting on the color, I couldn’t see a trace of the lipstick. It’s outshone by the lip gloss, literally. It’s bordering between simply pretty and dull.

I hate it when the doe-foot applicator gets stained by the lipstick after applying the lip gloss. The lipstick needs a bit of time to dry so you should gloss only afterwards. The glossing applicator will get stained lest you allow the lipstick to dry

first. It doesn’t affect the finish of the lipstick though. In the real world, the lipstick and gloss duo hardly lasts after 5 hours. It starts to get dry past that given period. Yet, I still dig the conditioned touch of the lip gloss. My lips are quite prone to chapping and even though the gloss has lost its luster, my mouth never turns dry and chunky. I have no comments regarding the cute lip gloss stick. When it comes to quantity though, the product gives only a frugal amount, especially the lipstick which measures barely a few centimeters. At least, it’s got a cap. On the other end of the stick is the lip gloss, actually the lip stick becomes the handle of the doe-foot wand. I like the singular size of this dual-purpose lippy because it’s quite handy. At 4 or 5 dollars, the split quality is rather not what I consider a solid value for the price. Objectively speaking, the product is still good in a practical sense – if you’re the type who doesn’t care about the clear-cut difference between a lipstick and a lip gloss and just merely want to get it done without undue effort. Yet, I strongly felt it could be better. Hence, I don’t recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318111323330330/k2311a118/11.8.10