Optik High Speed Internet by Telus in Surrey, Canada
  • So when I saw an old promotional offer in the mail from Telus, dated August 2010, offering $10 per month of high speed Internet called Optik, I thought I’d jump on it
  • Although the offer was $5 more, I decided to give it a try
  • This definitely gave me piece of mind, and to my surprise, he got the Internet connection he installed go completely wireless
  • Getting the Telus Optik Internet working took six days to accomplish, but in the end I was happy
  • I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the modem I was referring to was actually a full-fledged gateway (Siemens model number SE567)

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I almost thought that Telus, one of Canada’s biggest telecommunications companies, would not be able to pull it off. My roommate and I were desperately in need of getting high-speed Internet connection for our apartment.

So when I saw an old promotional offer in the mail from Telus, dated August 2010, offering $10 per month of high speed Internet called Optik, I thought I’d jump on it. I thought it was a fancy name to call one’s Internet service. Every provider seems to be branding or otherwise differentiating their Internet service these days.

Sadly when I phoned the contact number indicated in the promotional offer, I was told that the offer had already expired. The Telus agent explained over the phone that the only plan available was $15 per month for the first three months, with the price going up to $35 per month afterwards.

Although the offer was $5 more, I decided to give it a try. After all, $15 per month is still way cheaper than Shaw, a competitor which charged me $40 on average for Internet service back to when I

was still with it.

My only worry was that it might not work because our telephone service was still with Shaw. I thought one has to be with Telus for the telephone service in order to avail of this provider’s high-speed Internet. Apparently not, because the Telus representative on the phone was so eager to send me out an Internet modem in the mail. He advised that the modem would be delivered two days later.

I expected that a Telus technician would be bringing it over, but as it turns out, we had to phone the nearest Canada Post in order to pick up the modem. Quickly, I opened the box once I got home, because I was losing patience with the time it was taking to hook up the service.

I didn’t even get a follow up call from Telus if we received the equipment all right, I had to phone them myself. So that night I spent two hours on the phone with Telus technical support. After all that, the Internet service was still not hooked up.

The Tier 2 Telus rep ...

• advised that he would send a technician over on November 7, 2010, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Apparently, the tech would need to check if there is any existing Telus phone line in the house in which to hook up what turns out to be a DSL Internet service.

You know, the kind that utilizes the unused channel of an ordinary phone line to run the Internet through. The technician did show up, clocking in before 3:00 p.m. In thirty minutes, he got everything done, kudos to him.

First, he found the Telus line, which the Shaw technician seemed to have severed on his last visit to our apartment. Like a seasoned surgeon, the Telus tech pieced it together, and had the modem hooked up to the connection in no time.

He said that Telus does offer an Internet only service, so there was no need to sign up for a Telus phone service. This definitely gave me piece of mind, and to my surprise, he got the Internet connection he installed go completely wireless.

I thought we still had to use the Ethernet cable

to connect to the Internet, well not anymore. He disconnected the cable from my notebook computer, and had the wireless connection going in no time. He even tested the speed of the connection, which was 15 Mbps, and to wrap it up, he helped me password-protect the wireless connection so there will be no free riders in our neighborhood.

It was a huge relief. Getting the Telus Optik Internet working took six days to accomplish, but in the end I was happy. The connection is really fast. In all, I must have spent a total of five hours on the phone with Telus technical representatives, but at least, they never let me down.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the modem I was referring to was actually a full-fledged gateway (Siemens model number SE567). It enables Wi-Fi, or wireless Internet connection, which Telus insists, is the most secure high speed Internet access there is. I certainly hope so, or maybe I should say, it better be!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 218111322980330/k2311a118/11.8.10