Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride prescription antibiotic)  » Medicine  »
  • It is what I would consider one of the “big gun” antibiotics and is used for many types of infections
  • It was the only drug approved to treat anthrax, and many people were taking it prophylactically, which was not a brilliant idea in my opinion
  • I cannot prove that this was due to the Cipro, but I can tell you that I would not take it again, unless maybe I did have anthrax or something very serious and it was the best option
  • I would recommend that anyone offered Cipro would carefully weigh the pros and cons before taking it

• by reviewabit

Cipro is a very potent broad spectrum antibiotic. It is what I would consider one of the “big gun” antibiotics and is used for many types of infections. We may all remember hearing it mentioned in the news when the anthrax attacks were happening back in the early part of the decade. It was the only drug approved to treat anthrax, and many people were taking it prophylactically, which was not a brilliant idea in my opinion.

Cipro has some mean side effects. I took it once, a few years ago, for a bladder infection that did not respond to another antibiotic. I felt

terrible the whole time I was on it.

I had to take it with food or I would become extremely nauseous, and sometimes even taken with food, I would feel pretty sick. I was also tired and achy. Since I have an illness which causes these symptoms sporadically, I assumed that was the cause of the achiness and fatigue rather than the drug– but when I stopped the Cipro, the symptoms lessened almost immediately.

I wish I had read the side effect information before taking it, because it is associated with tendon ruptures and tendonitis, sometimes resulting in long term damage. I have muscle and tendon problems all the ...

• time anyway– and had I known of this risk I probably would have asked for another drug. Luckily, I didn’t suffer any permanent damage.

I did have some soreness and developed a slight case of trigger finger. I cannot prove that this was due to the Cipro, but I can tell you that I would not take it again, unless maybe I did have anthrax or something very serious and it was the best option. As for its effectiveness on the bladder infection, it was superb.

I was duly impressed. After three weeks of suffering and a course of the wrong antibiotic, the Cipro kicked the bladder

infection to kingdom come within just a few days. I would recommend that anyone offered Cipro would carefully weigh the pros and cons before taking it.

Be aware of the risks associated with it, and know what your other possible options are. If it still looks like Cipro is the best bet to get you well, then take– with caution. Monitor your symptoms and report anything weird to your doctor.

I recommend taking a probiotic supplement with Cipro and for a week or so after finishing it. (I recommend this for all antibiotics, actually) I have found that it greatly reduces the stomach/intestinal problems that these drugs can cause.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 268111322710230/k2311a118/11.8.10