BC Place in Vancouver, Canada
777 Pacific Boulevard, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 4Y8
  • If you ask me, what I love most about BC Place is the Terry Fox Memorial which stands right at the gates
  • It’s another spot that I highly recommend to all and sundry, especially for those of you who want to know who’s who in British Columbia’s sports
  • In my opinion, BC Place certainly doesn’t have the modern equipment, sound system, stage, etc. , but what it lacks, it more than makes up for in history

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Another place any tourist must not fail to see is BC Place, when visiting the beautiful city of Vancouver. First of all, it is a historic site, a sparkling showcase of the 1986 World’s Fair, dubbed Expo ’86. Even before that, in 1984 to be exact, the late Pope John Paul II already blessed BC Place through his momentous papal visit.

The BC Place also had the world’s largest air-supported dome stadium until May 4, 2010 when it was deflated permanently to make way for a retractable roof. Perhaps to the dismay of city historians, this change has altered the look of the Vancouver skyline forever, and no one knows for sure

if such radical alteration and its subsequent replacement will be for good.

If you ask me, what I love most about BC Place is the Terry Fox Memorial which stands right at the gates. I pass here frequently, especially when I’m on my way to the nearby casino, Edgewater, or Rogers Arena, formerly GM Place. For those of you who are not aware, Terry Fox made a historic run for cancer which sent a message of hope to all of Canada, and even the rest of the world.

If you love to watch football, BC Place is for you, for this stadium is the home of the CFL’s BC Lions. Never to ...

• be missed is the BC Sports Hall of Fame, which is permanently housed in this stadium. It’s another spot that I highly recommend to all and sundry, especially for those of you who want to know who’s who in British Columbia’s sports.

BC Place was likewise the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Clearly, this aging, yet venerable site has earned its place in British Columbia, and the rest of Canada.

If you ask me, though, the place has had more than its fair share of rather humbling experiences, such as hockey great Wayne Gretzky’s careful orchestrated exit to make a symbolic run for the

Olympic cauldron, as well as the cauldron fiasco that was broadcast all over the world.

Honestly, I felt like hiding in my seat when the mishap occured, since at the time I was part of the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the Winter Olympics!

Oh well, this too, shall come to pass, and well it did, tail between the legs. In my opinion, BC Place certainly doesn’t have the modern equipment, sound system, stage, etc., but what it lacks, it more than makes up for in history. Yeah, Queen Elizabeth had been here, and so had Prince Charles and the late Lady Diana!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 387111321280730/k2311a117/11.7.10