O2 Optix by Ciba silicone hydrogel soft contact lenses  » Health  »
2.5
  • When I began having problems with wearing contacts due to dryness and irritation, my eye doctor tried several different brands of contacts to see if an allergy was the problem
  • I worried that this would make them uncomfortable, but this didn’t turn out to be an issue
  • For the first few hours they felt pretty good, and I thought maybe I had found the right product
  • Unfortunately, after four hours, they were feeling scratchy and irritating
  • I was very disappointed, as I had heard that the silicone hydrogel lenses were supposed to be so much better for your eyes– and yet after trying two different brands, I was coming up empty handed

• by reviewabit

When I began having problems with wearing contacts due to dryness and irritation, my eye doctor tried several different brands of contacts to see if an allergy was the problem. After failure with Accuvue Oasys, the next brand to try was O2 Optix by Ciba. When I first put one in, they seemed thicker than the contacts I was accustomed to.

I worried that this would make them uncomfortable, but this didn’t turn out to be an issue. For the first few hours they felt pretty good, and I thought maybe I had found the right product.

Unfortunately, after four hours, they were feeling

scratchy and irritating. I tried rewetting drops to see if they would help, and they did help temporarily, but I was having to re-drop about twice an hour to keep comfortable, and that is not very practical for every day life.

I let my eyes rest for several days and tried again. Again, after three or four hours, they felt scratchy and uncomfortable.

My eyes began to itch slightly after taking them out in the evening, and I reported to my doctor that they didn’t seem to be doing much better than the previous lenses had. I was very disappointed, as I had heard ...

• that the silicone hydrogel lenses were supposed to be so much better for your eyes– and yet after trying two different brands, I was coming up empty handed.

I almost decided to give up contacts after this. I had requested the brand that I first used when I began wearing them years ago, but the manufacturer had stopped making them.

At this time I began looking into what other people’s experiences were to see if I could find another solution that maybe my doctor had not thought of. Some people recommended trying different brands of cleaning solution, but I had already tried that and didn’t

find anything to be different with other brands.

I happened to find that although some people raved about the comfort of the O2 Optix and other silicone hydrogel lenses, many people apparently had the same problems I did with them. This gave me a bit of hope that maybe there is still something out there that would work for me.

While I am sure this lens is a good product for some, I personally had nothing but trouble with them, so I can’t really give them a thumbs up. Maybe I am sensitive to the silicone they are made with or something.

I hope everyone else has better luck than me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 347111321040630/k2311a117/11.7.10