MAC Blotting Pressed Powder in Light  » Cosmetics  »
  • I stumbled at an interesting discussion on controlling oily skin and it was one topic I could shed a thesis-long account any day
  • I like how the blotter mattes out the texture as well
  • I love that it enhances the corrective tint of my foundation
  • I think it helps to cover any redness and blemishes effectively
  • I have somewhat yellow midtones that leave more to contend about what really is the best shade to complement my skin

• by jhunie

I discovered MAC blotting powder in a beauty forum. I was browsing online for treatment masks and toning products so I can do DIY facials at home. I stumbled at an interesting discussion on controlling oily skin and it was one topic I could shed a thesis-long account any day. I spent a long time hearing out other member’s raves of their favorite products relevant to the matter. I can totally relate to some of the products they’re using but I never heard of blotting powders before that time. So I seriously considered buying one, after getting a more concrete idea of how the product works, in a youtube video.

This blotting powder is a must-have. I have this fidgeting gesture of sliding my knuckle across the nose. Relatively, I wouldn’t need a mirror to see that my face is oily by then. My makeup usually reflects the oils after several hours. It’s best to use a brush so the powder is evenly dispersed – a la airbrushed effect. Because it’s pressed powder, applying by sponge yields a thicker coverage and tapping them will only make the finish patchy.

The powder really blots out the shine, particularly the oily sides of my nose and the glaring center of my forehead. I like how the blotter mattes out the texture as well. The product works better than drugstore oil blotters since it re-finishes an already made up face which is not possible with the former. It’s like a perfecting face powder sans the oils. Apart from controlling oily skin, it sets everything in place without smudging.

I love that it enhances the corrective tint of my foundation. I think it helps to cover any redness and blemishes effectively. My concealer agrees with the light shade too. To a tad though, the powder takes away the pretty sheen of my blush. The powder absorbs the oil – no doubt – but it also robs my makeup of colors. It sweeps out the light diffusing shimmers, highlighters and whatnot of my bronzer to a point where my face becomes too flat or dull. So, in a way, it’s not an all-encompassing powder. Once the powder gets completely worn out at the end of the day, it tends to look like ...

• a white cast. Regardless, the fact alone that it revives a greased up face, makes it an invaluable part of my entire makeup routine. I couldn’t be without this item.

The matte powder makes my face appear ghostly gray though, especially on evenings and every time I happen to pass by a dressing corner at the mall highly illuminated by spotlights. On the other hand, I love the sheen-less look it gives me under soft lights, such as the powder room, it may be insignificant to note here but I could flatter myself the whole time just staring in front of the mirror. I’m not comfortable with the idea of retouching the powder the second time. It’s great for perking up stale makeup in the middle of the day to blot out the oils, but adding another layer after a day’s makeup marathon is like compounding mounds of foundation and powder on my face. I’m afraid of clogging my pores. I don’t rely heavily on the powder alone, I guess, it’s still good to keep a pack of blotting powder nonetheless. Anyway, the oil-zapping powder’s matte coverage stretches the wear of

my makeup for a longer time, so I hardly need to powder another round. I definitely urge MAC to create a translucent version of the prototype to make this accessible for all skin colors.

My natural shade is fair, according to most people, but it’s not as pale as a moon face. I have somewhat yellow midtones that leave more to contend about what really is the best shade to complement my skin. By default, I always go for a lighter shade because it blends well with most of my makeup, whereas darker shades tend to drag down my general skin tone, casting shadows on the angular contours of my T zone. By defining a light shade, I was thinking the powder would be a cross between beige and ivory. Well it turned out to be very light so I had to compromise the amount I apply.

The black compact already includes a sponge. The price (20 dollars) is a deep scoop down my pocket. But for people with oily skin, I couldn’t stress more vigorously how important this item is. It’s key to keeping my skin fresh and matte. I highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 314111319890330/k2311a114/11.4.10