‘Runaway’ a short film by Kanye West
  • The dance sequences were interesting, but did little to help set the mood of the movie or to help move the film along
  • Although 'Runaway' isn't a film that I would watch over and over again, it did, in my opinion, present a valuable artistic vision that I did not expect from either West or Williams
  • I believe that 'Runaway' is very valuable artistically on a level comparable to Pink Floyd's film, 'The Wall'

• by V.G. Hart

I really didn’t know what to think when I first heard of this short film, which was written by ‘Belly’ writer Hype Williams and directed by Kanye West. If I had not been able to read a brief description of the movie at the time that I heard about it, I simply would have disregarded it. I don’t like Kanye West at all.

The film features Selita Ebanks, starring as a Phoenix

who fell to earth and was rescued by West. The two fall in love but as Phoenix begins to feel the awkwardness of non-acceptance, she decides that she must return to her own planet and the only way to do that is through self-incineration.

The use of color in this film really helped to set the mood, as it often featured a contrast of warm on cold color combos. The Phoenix ...

• costumer was amazingly beautiful and Ebanks did a superb acting job. West on the other hand, left a lot to be desired as far as acting performances go. The dance sequences were interesting, but did little to help set the mood of the movie or to help move the film along. The soundtrack featured rap music, of course, but it was well placed within the film and wasn’t hardcore.

Although ‘Runaway’ isn’t

a film that I would watch over and over again, it did, in my opinion, present a valuable artistic vision that I did not expect from either West or Williams. Although a great many viewers were left with a “What in the Hell?” attitude, I got the point of the film right away. I believe that ‘Runaway’ is very valuable artistically on a level comparable to Pink Floyd’s film, ‘The Wall’.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113111316311230/k2311a113/11.3.10