Rory Cellan-Jones (journalist)  » People  »
  • I remember being quite impressed by this at the time, as back then there was still a lingering feeling that BBC journalists were rather aloof, remote figures who rarely took the time to engage directly with the general public

• by fredhound

Rory Cellan-Jones is the technology editor for the BBC, and has been involved in tech related journalism for as many years as I can remember now, certainly since well back into the 1990s. I quite like him and the way he writes, and I often make a habit of reading his pieces, though he is not quite up to the level where I would go out of my way to read an article of his that I had

to pay for. If, for example, he worked for the Times and published his writing behind that paper’s paywall, I very much doubt that I would look at his output, at least on anything more than a very occasional basis.

Cellan-Jones was one of the early adopters of the idea of contacting his readership by electronic means. For example, about eight years ago he sent me an email after noticing that I had posted a complaint about an ISP ...

• on a Usenet newsgroup. I remember being quite impressed by this at the time, as back then there was still a lingering feeling that BBC journalists were rather aloof, remote figures who rarely took the time to engage directly with the general public. Since then, of course, that sort of thing has become far more common, but Cellan-Jones still seems to be in the forefront of things.

He has a regular column on the BBC website which I try

to catch as often as I can. In this, he posts about whatever is exercising his mind (on the topic!) at that point, and readers can leave comments below the line - in effect, it is a slightly upmarket sort of blog. A little bit surprisingly for a tech journalist, Cellan-Jones can sometimes ramble slightly in these posts, and occasionally he would have done better to have written two thirds as much, but generally what he says is worth listening to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522111315641030/k2311a112/11.2.10