Advil Congestion Relief  » Medicine  »
  • I think this was the biggest point of need for me, because that's where all my discomfort was originating

• by Anasuya

I guess a lot of different companies want to get in on the action and create products that do what every other product does. I’ve used Advil many times in the past for the relief of cramps or headaches or general aches and pains, but never knew until just recently that they also made products for the relief of sinus congestion. I was having a really bad bout of sinus congestion a month ago that was so severe it was causing tooth pain because the blockages were sitting so deep into my nasal cavities that it was resting on the nerves of my teeth! My next option was a neti bottle

and then possible, if that didn’t work, having my sinuses professional drained by a doctor, which is expensive and very painful.

This Advil Congestion Relief was meant to relieve sinus pressure, nasal swelling and congestion and even headaches associated with sinus and allergy problems. I kind of expected this to treat headaches on some level, because Advil IS a known pain reliever after all, and it contains the noted ibuprofen ingredient in it. And it was pretty sufficient at treating the headache, I must say, because not a lot of allergy or sinus medications bother putting anything in their product to treat pain, stiffness, discomfort of a physical level, aside from the stuffiness. No aches and pains are ever treated with most allergy or sinus medication, and I’m glad to see Advil step it up and offer something that treats a bit of everything.

The big thing that caught my attention and had me buying this product, however, was that it would relieve the swelling of the nasal cavity. I think this was the biggest point of need for me, because that’s where all my discomfort was originating. Yes I had a headache, but that pain was mild and secondary to the more intense sinus pressure that was building up in my cavities, causing a swelling of my entire face. I mean,

• Advil Congestion Relief
      it was noticeable and not at all pretty or enjoyable on any level. I was miserable for weeks before trying this product, and it really did work to help alleviate some of the swelling and pressure.

I can’t say that Advil Congestion Relief is perfect for everyone, or even perfect for me. It didn’t get rid of all the symptoms one hundred percent, but I didn’t expect anything out there could. It did, however, deal with the majority of the discomfort and pain that I was experiencing. Having the sniffles go away is only secondary to the real issues involved with allergies. You can still have congestion deep in the sinus

cavities and be able to breathe through your nose, so even if a product makes your breathing easier, it may not be getting to the nitty gritty of it all, and this Advil product went a long way towards doing that. My sinus cavities were so impacted at that point that I still had to turn to the neti bottle to flush them out all the way, but this product worked very well to making that possible, because I really believe that if I hadn’t taken this first for a week or so, that the neti bottle wouldn’t have worked either. It made for a great combination of products that cleared out my sinuses perfectly.

Roberta Pizzoferrato says :

What are the contraindications and warmings of Advil Congestion Relief?

John says :

This is the contraindication statement from the manufacturer: “Sympathomimetic decongestants such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine which are contained in the Advil cold, sinus and allergy products are contraindicated in patients who are taking prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI), as serious health problems can develop. If you do not know or are unsure whether your prescription drug medicine contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.”

This is the warning label: “Increased risk of severe stomach bleeding. History of GI disorders (eg, heartburn, bleeding ulcers). Hypertension. Heart disease. Liver cirrhosis. Renal disease. Asthma. Thyroid disease. Diabetes. GI or urinary obstruction. Reevaluate if fever persists or worsens 3 days or pain/nasal congestion lasts 7 days. Elderly. Pregnancy (avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.”

Anasuya replies :

I don`t know. I would need the box for that which I no longer have. You should call a pharmicist with a question like that so you aren`t misinformed. Sorry I couldn`t be of more help.

billie says :

My mother cannot breath through her nose. There is no mucus or discharge. Her doctor has had her try allergy medicines but they only relieve her symptoms for an hour and she can`t take more medicine. I`m thinking of sugestioning Advil congestion relief, but she has low kidney function and I`m concerned about the ibuporpen. Would it be safe for her to try it? Does it interact with other perscription drugs? Is there a site I can compare any interaction? Thanks.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi Billie, it can interact with kidney function and it would be unwise to have your mom take it without consulting the doctor first. However, a vaporizer and some vicks vapor rub under her nose would also help with the congestion in a safe way until her doctor can prescribe her a proper medication.

Galega says :

Ibuprofen do create some problem with people having issues with kidney. It can lead to analgesic nephropathy or even acute renal failure (high doses with prolong use can cause these two problems). You should better consult your doctor before giving your mother any medicine. Obviously, you need not give her Ibuprofen.

Anasuya replies :

You should probably ask her doctor. I wouldnt feel comfortable suggesting she take it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262111315421030/k2311a112/11.2.10