Fisherman’s Friend Cough Suppressant Lozenges Sugar Free Refreshing Mint  » Health  »
  • I found that when I took them with the flu, they made me nauseous and made my eyes water and burn
  • I think they probably overwhelm the nerves that control the coughing impulse
  • For this I feel I can safely recommend these to other diabetics, as long as they are up for a really strong taste and their stomachs are not too sensitive

• by reviewabit

I have mixed feelings about this Fisherman’s Friend product. I first tried the original Fisherman’s Friend many years ago, when my grandmother used to eat them constantly. She was a true believer in the product.

I tried this variety more recently when I had a really bad cough. I needed a sugar free type because I am diabetic.

This product has good points and bad points for me. They are very, very strong.

If you are in the least bit prone to nausea when you are sick, you might not find these pleasant. The flavor and strength of them are what

they are famous for– it’s enough menthol power to knock out a serious cough and open your sinuses.

(or at least make them feel like they’ve been opened!) You will not likely find a stronger cough drop unless you make it yourself. Too many of them may irritate your mouth and stomach.

If you have a bad cough at night, taking one before bed may help your cough calm down enough to help you get to sleep easier. It may also leave a horrible taste in your mouth for when you wake up.

For a few minutes after you take one, you may not ...

• be able to taste anything else, like food or drink, although any beverages you sip may seem extremely cold after the menthol blast. I found that when I took them with the flu, they made me nauseous and made my eyes water and burn.

But, to be fair, they did do their job. I think they probably overwhelm the nerves that control the coughing impulse.

I cannot honestly tell a lot of difference between the “refreshing mint” flavor and the original that I had years ago. I think they are so strong that subtle differences in flavor cannot readily be detected.

The important thing, however, was that they were sugar free and safe for me to take without worrying about the effects on my blood sugar readings. Granted, when I took these, I did not use as many drops as I would have if I were using a “weaker” brand, but the ones I did take had no measurable effect on my blood sugar readings.

For this I feel I can safely recommend these to other diabetics, as long as they are up for a really strong taste and their stomachs are not too sensitive. I’ll hand it to Fisherman’s Friend– they mean business.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342111315090930/k2311a112/11.2.10