Monistat 1 Vaginal Antifungal Day or Night 1-Day Treatment Pack  » Medicine  »
1.5
  • It wasn’t convenient to go at the time, and I didn’t want to wait until the next week before treating the infection, so I went to the store to get an over the counter cream
  • I saw that Monistat had a one day treatment, and since the diflucan was a one day treatment and worked for me, I thought maybe the Monistat would as well
  • I was happy to get my diflucan– to knock out the remainder of the infection, without miserable side effects

• by reviewabit

I am all for instant gratification, or relief, as the case may be. When I got a terrible yeast infection this past summer, I should have gone to the doctor to get a dose of diflucan, which works beautifully for me every time. It wasn’t convenient to go at the time, and I didn’t want to wait until the next week before treating the infection, so I went to the store to get an over the counter cream. I saw that Monistat had a one day treatment, and since the diflucan was a one day treatment and worked for me, I thought maybe the Monistat would as well.

I inserted the ovule that night. Several hours later I was awakened by severe itching. It was more intense than

the initial infection itching, so I assumed I was having a reaction to the medication.

It was difficult to sleep, and by the next morning, I was worried about even going out in public because of the discomfort! I suffered through the next two days before I was able to call my doctor. In the meantime, the itching was decreasing slightly, and I had read some information online about what causes the symptoms of a yeast infection. It stated that the itching and burning is the result of the yeast organisms when they die.

Upon dying, they give off a toxin which causes the irritation– thus the intense itching and burning. I wonder now if this is why the Monistat product caused such a strong reaction. When ...

• I was able to finally get to my doctor, she said that she had heard similar complaints about the one day over the counter treatments, and she recommended the standard 3 or 7 day ones instead.

I was happy to get my diflucan– to knock out the remainder of the infection, without miserable side effects. As the exam smear showed yeast was alive and well in my body, apparently the Monistat 1 did not do its job completely. However, as after the strong reaction on the first day my symptoms did lessen, I suspect it did do some damage to the yeast army.

Here’s my general opinion of the product. Monistat is a good brand, but a one day formula doesn’t seem to work out well, at

least not for many of us. The medication is too strong to use all at once and causes serious irritation to the tissues.

It is either from the medicine itself, or from the sudden mass murder of yeast it causes locally. Also, one day doesn’t seem to be enough for it to do the job fully. This product might be perfectly ok for a mild yeast infection– if the reaction is from yeast death then a mild infection might not produce the same horrible effects, and one day might be enough to wipe it out.

But for anyone with a serious yeast infection– don’t even play around with over the counter remedies. Ask your doctor for a diflucan. One pill, no reactions, it’s all good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261111314890230/k2311a111/11.1.10