Sundown Gelatin 10 Grams Capsules  » Health  »
1.0
  • I decided to try an old home remedy that my grandmother recommended– sort of
  • Somewhere between that day and ending my gelatin therapy several weeks later, I learned that gelatin was an animal product, and most of it was produced from pig skin

• by reviewabit

I used to have gorgeous, smooth, strong fingernails. This was years ago. Age and keeping my hands in water a lot have taken their toll and now I have fragile, weak nails that have ridges and break off easily.

I decided to try an old home remedy that my grandmother recommended– sort of. She used to eat gelatin in large amounts, or use knox gelatin dissolved in water, and she swore this would help fingernails grow and be strong.

(I believe she thought it would help your hair as well) The idea of drinking Knox or eating a ton of jello every day did not appeal

to me. Fortunately, gelatin is readily available anywhere that sells a decent selection of vitamins and supplements.

I chose the Sundown brand because it was cheap, to be honest. I figured gelatin is gelatin, and I’ve used their products before and was happy with them.

I took several capsules a day for about a month and a half. The capsules are not large, but like most capsules, they stick to your lips and tongue, and want to float on the roof of your mouth when you try to swallow them.

Needless to say, I hate capsules. After about two weeks I took a good ...

• look at my nails, and saw no difference– but I was aware that it might take longer.

Somewhere between that day and ending my gelatin therapy several weeks later, I learned that gelatin was an animal product, and most of it was produced from pig skin. Although I am not a vegetarian and meat products are a big part of my diet, somehow the idea of this was really gross to me.

I had assumed it was a plant product. I just never thought to check! I continued taking it, but was tempted to gag at each dose now that it made me think of pig skin produced

goo.

At the end of the treatment, I still could not tell any difference in my nails, or my hair. I guess my grandmother was wrong.

I went on to try various vitamins that were marketed for hair and nails, but I didn’t get real results until I started wearing moisturizers with gloves overnight. It seems the damage to my nails was a lack of oils, not nutrients.

I don’t know if gelatin capsules are good for anything else besides the nail theory, but if not, then I can’t give them a good recommendation, because for me, they just didn’t work. That’s ok, I was never crazy about Jello anyway.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341111314830230/k2311a111/11.1.10