Nikolaevsky Express  » Railway  »
  • Upon opening the little cubbies above the bed, I found a toothbrush, toothpaste, paper slippers, shoe-horn, towel and soap
  • The next time I'm in Russia, I will most definitely take this train again

• by gallopmonkey

I recently had to travel between Moscow and St Petersburg, and bought a ticket on Russian Railways’ Train #005, the Nikolaevsky Express. I chose it based on the time of arrival into St Petersburg, as I was catching a flight out the same day.

This train was amazing. I’ve done a fair bit of traveling across Russia in the last few years and I have never seen a train like this. I had read that the train was a special train, but I couldn’t imagine what it would be like or how it would be different from other RZhD trains. Upon boarding, the conductors were welcoming and

helpful, and efficiently got everybody to their respective cabins. I was traveling second class, which usually just gets you a cabin with four bunks, some linens and a table. When I entered the four-person cabin, I was really surprised to see that all the bunks had already been prepared and the beds were made up. The coverlet was even drawn back - I felt like I was in a hotel! Lying on every bunk were a couple of different Russian-language periodicals, and on the table were four little bottles of water and glasses. I really appreciated the fact that the beds had already been made up, as it saved everybody the trouble of manoeuvering around each other in a cramped space. Upon opening the little cubbies above the bed, I found a toothbrush, toothpaste, paper slippers, shoe-horn, towel and soap. This was fantastic, as it saved me the trouble of opening up my suitcase and taking things out. I liked having the bottles of water already there, as it meant that I didn’t have to ask the conductor if I wanted to have a drink. I brought my own tea with me, and made some using the hot water from a samovar at the end of the compartment. I had some of the ...

• Nikolaevsky Express
      cookies provided by the train and had a lovely midnight snack before retiring to sleep.

The toilets were fabulously clean, which was a nice change from some of the other trains I had been on. There was actually soap in the soap dispenser and the water actually ran from the taps. The toilets were clean and smelled fresh; something that’s not always the case on trains. This time, I didn’t feel scared to touch everything in the bathroom, and I knew as I was getting ready for bed that I would be safe and comfortable. The trip was smooth and quick, and I was able to get

a decent night’s sleep, so as to be ready for my flight.

Even though I was a single female sharing a compartment with three unknown men, I felt totally safe on board. I didn’t have to worry about my luggage or my personal safety, and all three men were extremely polite and treated me very well.

The next time I’m in Russia, I will most definitely take this train again. It’s conveniently time, fantastically clean, and most of all, comfortable. Upon boarding the train, it was like stepping back 100 years. The train was luxurious, and I really did feel like I was back in a more civilized age.

catherine says :

how did you book it ? I have been searching everywhere to book myself on this train.

Aleks says :

It has been discontinued between Moscow and St.Petersburg. Now it’s used between St.Petersburg and Petrozavodsk.
Are you interested in the train itself, no matter what is the route? There are plenty of websites to book tickets, but most of them are in Russian. If you’re fluent in Russian, then you can use Russian search engine Yandex.ru. You will see a lot of options there. Let me know, if you need more help.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 441111314430230/k2311a111/11.1.10