Glee 201- Auditions  » TV  »
  • After hearing my friends praise Glee, the musical television show, for the past year or so, when Glee came back on television, I decided to give it a try
  • I’m not a huge musical or Broadway fan, but Glee sounded fun and interesting so I gave it a shot
  • The Telephone scene seemed the most fake to me, even though I know that both Lea Michele and Charice are very good singers without Auto Tune
  • I looked forward to new episodes, and I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys music and comedy

• by AzureSea

After hearing my friends praise Glee, the musical television show, for the past year or so, when Glee came back on television, I decided to give it a try. I had a general idea of what went on last season plot-wise, so it wasn’t too hard for me to get caught up to the current state of affairs. I’m not a huge musical or Broadway fan, but Glee sounded fun and interesting so I gave it a shot.

A few things really stood out to me. Firstly, the show is almost completely absurd. I had prepared myself not to expect much substance in the plot, but really? The Rachel/Sunshine thing really made no sense whatsoever. Sending a new girl to a crack house you were jealous of her singing abilities? Not to mention that crazy bathroom “Telephone” scene where Rachel looked more like she was about to eat

that poor girl. It was funny, no doubt, but it made no sense. To top it all off, Rachel sings What I Did for Love at the end of the episode. Yes Rachel, I’m sure you had the noblest of intentions when sending Sunshine to that crack house. It was all for love. Then there was the Vocal Adrenaline man in black carting Sunshine off, bribing her family with a new condo. No. I get that television isn’t at all an accurate reflection of what really happens in real life, but Glee doesn’t try at all for reality.

Not that it’s a bad thing of course. It’s meant to be funny, and this is done pretty well. Sue Sylvester is possibly the funniest (and one of the meanest) characters to grace my TV screen, and she can be counted on to show up during some of the weirdest ...

• moments to make everything hilarious again. Her rivalry with Coach Bieste is mind-bendingly funny, although I was kind of weirded out by Bieste’s reaction to the bullying. Nobody was bullying her because she was different, she was being bullied because she had taken all the resource funding away from the other programs. You really can’t expect people to be really nice to you when you strong arm away all their funding.

Brittany can also always be counted on for some lulz, and she is so very funny. Her one liners have me in stitches for over a minute every time, because the delivery is done so well. Her face is blank, and sometimes when she gives a small smile after her line I die laughing because of the hilarity of her facial expressions. “Stop the violence” and the touching Coach Bieste’s doll incident were way too funny and

made up for the lack of plot cohesion.

The singing was good, although I’m a bit bothered by how fake it all seems. I’m pretty sure Auto Tune was used for every song, even if it’s not a lot in most songs. The Telephone scene seemed the most fake to me, even though I know that both Lea Michele and Charice are very good singers without Auto Tune. It’s just too smooth, polished and edited for it to seem real to me.

This episode did a very good job of catching people up to the current situation, and is a great opener to the season for both new and seasoned viewers alike. I looked forward to new episodes, and I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys music and comedy. If you regard plot as a big deal however, this show may be a bit too crazy for you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1031101312940331/k2311a1031/10.31.10