CTN Tunisian Ferry Company  » Cruises/Ferries  »
  • I was both really impressed and quite disgusted by the ferries
  • In additionally, there was no soap in the soap dispensers, and I tried to avoid the bathrooms as much as possible
  • The ships also had a small bar which served beers, which surprised me a little, but which I enjoyed
  • There was also a night club which played live traditional Tunisian music in the evening, which was both surprising and interesting
  • I would travel with CTN again, although I would definitely bring my own toilet paper and hand sanitizer

• by gallopmonkey

I recently took a trip to Tunisia from France, and rather than flying, decided to take the ferry.

I was both really impressed and quite disgusted by the ferries. Outgoing, the ferry was over two hours late arriving into Marseille, which meant we were seriously delayed leaving. Apparently this is a common occurancce. Once we boarded, the ferry appeared to be pretty clean in the common areas, but the toilets were quite horrible. I’ve done a lot of travelling, and was rather shocked at what I saw. In additionally, there was no soap in

the soap dispensers, and I tried to avoid the bathrooms as much as possible.

The ferries have both a cafeteria and a fancier restaurant. The food in the cafeteria was quite passable and affordable, although CTN only accepts Euros and not dinar. I was pleased to see that there were lots of bread rolls and cheeses as well as main courses. The staff were all bilingual in Arabic and French, and some spoke English, and they were all friendly and helpful. Even during Ramadan, the cafe opened at the usual time.

I was really surprised ...

• and impressed by the number of services offered on board. There was a small salt-water swimming pool that was filled and watched over by a very attentive crew member. As the voyage was 24 hours, I was able to spend a lot of time relaxing near the pool, watching the Mediterranean slip by as I ate ice cream. The ships also had a small bar which served beers, which surprised me a little, but which I enjoyed. There was also a “night club” which played live traditional Tunisian music in the evening, which
        was both surprising and interesting.

The seats for economy passengers didn’t recline much, which meant I had a difficult time sleeping, but for those who wish to pay more there are bunks available in cabins.

All in all, I thought the voyage was an interesting one. The staff were great and the food was decent. However, the state of the toilets really marred my impression of the ferry company and I felt like I was scared to touch anything. I would travel with CTN again, although I would definitely bring my own toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 431101312750231/k2311a1031/10.31.10