Priano Specialty Pasta - Rigatoni  » Food  »
  • This brand of pasta is carried by ALDI Food Center stores and surprisingly, the package of rigatoni cost me more money at the ALDI Food Market than it did at Walmart
  • Here, I paid almost thirty cents more for the same amount, so that was already one strike against the pasta and brand before I even cooked it and tried it
  • Thus, I enjoyed eating this pasta as much as any other pasta brand

• by CirclingCanvas

I purchased a sixteen ounce bag of rigatoni under the Priano Specialty Pasta brand for one dollar and twenty-five cents because I was out of pasta and I wasn’t going to be near a Walmart that day. This brand of pasta is carried by ALDI Food Center stores and surprisingly, the package of rigatoni cost me more money at the ALDI Food Market than it did at Walmart. At Walmart, I purchase the Great Value brand of pasta, and it’s just one dollar for sixteen ounces there. Here, I paid almost thirty cents more for the same

amount, so that was already one strike against the pasta and brand before I even cooked it and tried it.

Pasta is pretty much pasta. It all tastes the same regardless of brand, unless the pasta has a high concentration of the wheat ingredient. The same can be said for this brand. The rigatoni pasta from ALDI under the Priano Specialty Pasta brand tasted exactly like the rigatoni pasta from Walmart under the Great Value brand. The individual rigatoni pieces were a good size, about as large as rigatoni pasta is typically made and it was reasonably thick,

• so a bowl of rigatoni pasta is going to fill me up faster than a bowl of say regular spaghetti. The pasta cooked just fine in the water and came out tender in texture. The quality of the pasta seemed to measure up just fine compared with the Great Value brand and the national name brands, like De Cecco. Thus, I enjoyed eating this pasta as much as any other pasta brand. I didn’t enjoy paying an extra twenty-nine cents, though. That adds up, especially if I were to buy multiple boxes. I’d much rather pay less
        at Walmart for the same quality and same size box, and I would have too had I been planning on going to a Walmart store before my usual pasta night.

There’s nothing at all wrong with the quality of this pasta. The individual rigatoni pieces were sizable, tasted fine and had a tender texture to them. They were certainly filling and satisfactory. The price for a package though is what will prevent me from purchasing them again because they aren’t as good of a value as the Walmart Great Value brand of pasta. For that reason, I’m rating this product a “9″.

Kat says :

re : This brand of pasta is carried by ALDI Food Center stores and surprisingly, the package of rigatoni cost me more money at the ALDI Food Market than it did at Walmart
    I must disagree. Pasta is not pasta. There really is no comparison to a good Italian pasta. It’s creamier and tastes so much better.

CirclingCanvas replies :

A variety of factors can influence how food such as pasta tastes. Certainly, some brands will taste better and be more pleasant in smell and texture than others, but also too, people all have different tastes, preferences and expectations when it comes to food such as pasta, so it’s not just about the food itself. As a result, it’s a matter of finding food that best suits you as an individual, and that can require trial and error, but it’s really the only way to discover what satisfies you the best.

quick note by anonymous :

Look at it this way, you paid for convenience

Richard says :

I completely disagree with your overall assessment of pasta. The fact that your go to pasta is great value from Walmart immediately disqualifies your opinion. It’s the worst pasta on the planet. I have been purchasing Priano pasta from Aldi for several years now and it’s far superior to the crap you usually buy. It cooks tender but still firm, the texture is exceptional, and it has that perfect chewy bite you want from good dried pasta. Go buy your cheap crap from Walmart to save 30 cents a pound. I’ll spend the extra 30 cents to get an exceptional pasta at a great price.

quick note by anonymous :

There are two reasons why the cost is more. One it is cut using a traditional bronze mold instead of the Teflon mold. Two it’s an imported and made from Italy so the wheat used is not as processed as the wal mart version.

CirclingCanvas replies :

Going with less processed foods is certainly a good thing, too, if you can afford it. It can sometimes be tricky to balance healthier varieties of food with a grocery budget, but for those that can, eating foods that aren’t as processed as some of the cheaper varieties is a good health move in the long run.

Teresina White says :

Pasta is definitely not all the same. That isn’t to say that more expensive is necessarily better, but in this case I think it might be. My mum is a sensational cook and she’s very fussy with the brand of pasta she uses….some fall apart and get gluggy too quickly and it’s hard to work with them, i.e. some don’t achieve a nice`al dente’ texture.
    I’m Italian.

CrclingCanvas replies :

Very true Taste and texture can certainly vary from pasta to pasta. You’re also right that just because something is more expensive does not always mean the quality is superior. Some times, yes, it is, but other times, the quality of a product can be really good despite the low price. Being an excellent cook definitely does help, as well

Claire says :

I once bought 2 packages of Priano pasta at Aldi. It was an egg noodle pasta, twisted, like a Gemelli pasta. It was exquisite I went back the following day to buy more (I have an extra fridge in the garage) and would have got another 24 packages easy. There were none left. I look for them every time I go to the store (probably 3 times a week), never saw them again. wish they would get some back.
    Also, I bought those fabulous storage containers for left over lemon, lime, onion, pepper, tomato, etc. I have enough for myself, but wanted to buy some as gifts for friends since I will be going to my home town for Christmas and thought they would make fabulous gifts people could really get excited about. I know I did. They don’t have those anymore either.
    Big disappointment that they are no longer in the store. Please bring them back.
    Thank you.

CrclingCanvas replies :

Unfortunately, a good portion of the items that are sold in Aldi stores are special buys/seasonal/temporary. Aldi has limited shelf space due to the design of the stores, which is intended to help keep costs low so that you, the customer, pay less. That means room has to be made for seasonal items and items that are made available for limited time, special buys. All that you can do is express your interest in items that were once carried but are no longer available to a manager at the store, and he/she will hopefully pass along your feedback to those higher up in the company. You can also contact Aldi at aldi.us and let the company know what items you would like to see back. That’s about all you can do… that, or seek out alternatives at online marketplaces or in traditional stores.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2728101310051031/k2311a1028/10.28.10