Geico FCU Visa Card  » Finance  »
2.0
  • As a member of Geico's employee federal credit union, I decided to get their available Visa debit card that would be linked to my checking account
  • At first, I found this debit card to be no different from any other debit card
  • I had no issue with using the card at any location (no card readers had trouble with it, all recognized it as a debit card, and online purchases always went through without a hitch)
  • As I reviewed my transactions, I was happy to see that I had not been charged for using the ATM at my local WaWa, but alarmed to see a $1 fee attached to several of my point of sale transactions at places like Target and Wal-Mart
  • Overall, my experience with Geico FCU's Visa debit card was not all that negative, but I have had much better experiences with other banks and credit unions

• by blunderkind

As a member of Geico’s employee federal credit union, I decided to get their available Visa debit card that would be linked to my checking account. The paperwork for the card said I would not be charged ATM fees at any “Allpoint” ATM, a common type of ATM in stores like Target and gas stations such as WaWa, and that I would have low ATM fees elsewhere. The convenience of having easy access to my funds in the form of a debit card was the biggest draw for me, and while I was working at Geico, being able to use the in-building ATM was an extra benefit.

At first, I found this debit card to be no different from any other debit card. Prior to joining Geico FCU, I had banked at Wachovia with a student checking account, and the transition to Geico had been an easy one that did not change many of my account benefits. I had no issue with using the card at any location (no card readers had trouble with it, all recognized it as a debit card, and online purchases always

went through without a hitch).

With Geico, I decided to set up my online banking account, so I could better keep track of my funds. The website, www.geicofcu.org, was very bland - originally it had a gold background and plain black text (it has since been updated, though it is still fairly bland compared to other financial sites). To set up my account, I had go into the office and request a special password that would be mailed to me. My first request either did not go through, or got lost in the mail, so several weeks later, I went back in and made a second request. My information arrived about four days after that second request, and I keyed it into the site, then changed the password to something I would remember. The next week, when I tried to access my account, I found that my password would not work. I could not figure out if I had simply made a typo when setting my password prior to this, or if the change had not gone through, but the only ...

• remedy was to make another request for a password change and wait, so I gave up.

My statements arrived once every three months, and showed each transaction and deposit in chronological order. As I reviewed my transactions, I was happy to see that I had not been charged for using the ATM at my local WaWa, but alarmed to see a $1 fee attached to several of my point of sale transactions at places like Target and Wal-Mart. I spoke with a teller at the branch in my local Geico building, and she explained that a transaction fee was added on once the monthly limit of transactions (which was only about five) was exceeded. Since I had been hesitant to carry around cash (in the event my wallet was stolen, I dislike how cash can simply be taken with no recourse), I had been using my debit card for regular purchases like groceries and household items. Oddly enough, this transaction fee was not added on to online transactions, such as eBay purchases or transfers to my PayPal account; the teller did not know why this was

not included, other than perhaps since most online vendors use a different system from the typical point of sale card-swipe system.

A few months after I left Geico, I decided to change banks and cancel my debit card. I found out that there was a one week waiting period to cancel the card, which meant I could not close my checking account until after that period. After that point, I had no trouble canceling the card and closing the account, but it was a bit annoying to have some funds (the required minimum balance for a checking account at Geico FCU is $25) tied up in an account I did not want to use.

Overall, my experience with Geico FCU’s Visa debit card was not all that negative, but I have had much better experiences with other banks and credit unions. I disliked the extra fee attached to regular transactions at a point of sale, since it detracted from the benefits of using a debit card over cash. And I wish that access to, and the overall look of, the website was an easier and neater process.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4226101308470731/k2311a1026/10.26.10