Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm 0.15 oz/4.25 g  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • Yellow definitely stands out on the shelf, just like taxi on the road
  • This Burt’s Bees concoction has an interesting premise
  • No offence to the bees, but Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm just doesn’t live up to its hype, in my opinion as well as experience
  • Before I know it, Burt’s version of the lip balm has dried up, if not evaporated from my lips

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I have to admit, Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm has great packaging. Yellow definitely stands out on the shelf, just like taxi on the road. It’s also very tempting to buy, and I have bought it on two occasions.

This Burt’s Bees concoction has an interesting premise: What would make a better lip balm than something stolen from the bees? Especially in the 21st century, when environmentalism or going green has taken a firm hold on the public’s perception worldwide, it’s hard to dismiss the premise.

After all who hasn’t tried honey on their coffee? Apparently, anything coming from the bees cannot hurt us, except a bee sting, of course. Natural is clearly the way

to go, which is why anything organic is more expensive in the supermarket, these days. And this also gives the maker of Burt’s Bees the right to up the price just a bit!

No offence to the bees, but Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm just doesn’t live up to its hype, in my opinion as well as experience. Proof: It can’t seem to stay long enough on my lips to adequately protect them.

Case in point: Lypsyl, another brand of lip balm stays longer. Before I know it, Burt’s version of the lip balm has dried up, if not evaporated from my lips. This leads me to conclude that beeswax does not necessarily make ...

• a good lip balm, or component thereof.

In my experience, it wouldn’t matter if the bees are involved or not. Even petroleum jelly seems like a better alternative to bees wax. I find that it sticks and stays on my lips longer, and is not easily dried.

And for all the claim that honey does have antiseptic or bacteria-killing qualities, I don’t think you can ascribe these properties to bees wax just as easily. As a matter of fact, on many occasions, the Burt’s version of the lip balm might have given me a bad breath, or even stale lips.

This is why I don’t think the re-imagined lip balm courtesy of Burt’s should not be given any undue

advantage in the marketplace. While the use of petroleum jelly in something that might end up in the mouth can be subject of future study on how it might lead to cancer, this is still a long way coming.

For the time being, whether it’s petroleum jelly that Lypsyl uses or not, I will continue to use it rather than Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm. It works for me, and bees notwithstanding, I just don’t see myself getting my third trial of Burt’s lip balm version any time soon. It’s just not good enough!

True it’s soothing, cooling and refreshing, but it certainly doesn’t last.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3125101307561231/k2311a1025/10.25.10