Movie: In the Army Now
2.5
  • Also, has anyone else noticed that Brendan Fraser gets a small cameo in this one and pretty much got his start in Encino Man but he has never tried to repay the favor by offering Shore at least a small role in any of his big blockbusters

• by Review Vigilante

Synopsis: An underachiever and his friend join the US Army and, not wanting to be in combat, sign up for water detail; only to find they will be responsible for saving the lives of hundreds. What I liked about this movie: I’m not a huge Paulie Shore fan.

But, I do have to admit, whenever I watch any of his movies, I do get a bit of a nostalgic feel.

After all,

he was a big star when I was in high school and college and he did use his image to get him a few roles.

I also found myself appreciating the fact this movie makes fun of situations but tapers it back so it isn’t crossing the line and insulting the men and women who really do serve in our armed forces.

There are quite a few movies that cross that line ...

• and, rather than being funny, they really make you uncomfortable.

What I didn’t like about the movie: Despite what I just said, I really can only handle Shore and Andy Dick in small doses and, in this case, they are on screen way too much.

After about the first half of the movie, it was pretty hard for me to find an excuse not to turn it off.

Also, has anyone else

noticed that Brendan Fraser gets a small cameo in this one and pretty much got his start in Encino Man but he has never tried to repay the favor by offering Shore at least a small role in any of his big blockbusters?

Final opinion: It’s an OK movie.

But, it’s a movie that is best in small doses.

In other words, watch half of it and then wait a couple of days to find out how it ends.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122101304860131/k2311a1022/10.22.10