Sibacan-Lote Bird watching site  » Travel  »
Bataan, Philippines
  • More than 50 years have passed since the Bataan death march and this place has definitely evolved from a historic place to a top tourist destination
  • I would definitely recommend you to visit this site since it’s free and easy to get to

• by Carlisle

Bataan is known for the death march that occurred during the World War 2. Thousands of Filipino and American soldiers were forcibly marched to their deaths by cold-hearted Japanese soldiers. Witnesses of this brutal even tell the soldiers hardships and what they went through at that time. Many of the Filipino and American soldiers were executed, stabbed, beaten down by rifle butts, starved and those who were unable to keep up in the line were put to death. More than 50 years have passed since the Bataan death march and this place has definitely evolved from a historic place to a top tourist destination.

Bataan is a province of the Philippines occupying the whole of Bataan Peninsula on Luzon region. Its

capital Balanga City is enclosed by the provinces of Zambales and Pampanga which lies north of it. The neck of the land faces South China Sea to the west, the Manila Bay to the east and further north-west lays Subic Bay.

Distant from its horrifying past, Bataan is now the core of the industry of the Luzon region. It’s also becoming a popular ecotourism destination thanks to its international bird-watching sites. The most popular is the Sibacan-Lote site. So we went there to see if it was really good as they say. Getting there was easy and anybody can ask for directions from people on the side of the road. You can pay for public transport anywhere from Php 50-Php150. You ...

• don’t have to worry about entrance fees since there is none! When we got to the site, I was truly amazed by the place. I could see birds coming in every few minutes—landing everywhere and feeding on the soil. I was a witness to the diversity and wide assortment of birds during migration season. Completely flabbergasted by the birds coming in from all directions, I almost forgot that I had a camera with me. As soon as I was brought back to reality, I grabbed my camera and took pictures of the wide assortment of birds from around the world. I literally saw birds of all sizes, from big to small and with various colours. I have never seen those
        many birds in my entire life and most of them were only the first time that I have seen! I captured images of hundreds of birds that flew thousands of miles from different places around the globe just to rest and also mate during that season. It was truly an awesome spectacle to watch and be witness of. An uncle of mine who’s with the Bird club of the Philippines told me that at least 35 species was recorded flying this migration route. I would definitely recommend you to visit this site since it’s free and easy to get to. You wouldn’t be disappointed. Just be sure that its birds season when you got there. I rate this place a 10!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3821101303510931/k2311a1021/10.21.10