Snake Island, Puerto Princesa Philippines  » Travel  »
Philippines
  • Many consider this as one of the first class city in the Philippines
  • As I roamed the streets of Puerto Princesa, I noticed the absence of trash for such a bustling and modernized city
  • It was actually fun to see little to medium sized fishes swarm at my hand as I waved my delicious looking fish food
  • It was truly an amazing experience to see them
  • For those who seek an intimate and an in-depth experience with nature, going to Snake Island, Puerto Princesa will definitely satisfy your thirst for curiosity and adventure

• by Carlisle

An hour and a half plane ride from Manila is the spectacular city of Palawan. Many consider this as one of the first class city in the Philippines. Puerto Princesa is famous for its crocodile farm, underground rivers and numerous internationally known dive spots. It ranks next from Davao as the second largest city in the Philippines.

As I roamed the streets of Puerto Princesa, I noticed the absence of trash for such a bustling and modernized city. Much like Singapore, police and even locals are quite strict when it comes to garbage disposal. Garbage bins are visible every few hundred metres around the city.

There were in fact dozens of islands that I could go to in Palawan. But among the top tourist destinations

are the Snake Island (known for its fish feeding area), Pandan Island, Bat Island, Cowrie Island, Adobo Island, Arreceffi Island, Panglima and Pambato reefs. I decided to go to Snake Island. All of the islands that made it to my list had an entrance fee. But in Snake Island it was quite reasonable, which was about $5-8. Upon arriving, I immediately noticed the very fine sand which almost felt like silk brushing under my foot. There weren’t a lot of tourists around at that time. The boat owner told me that it was because it still wasn’t the peak season when I arrived. Locals also offered diving for a very reasonable price. The Island that I went to had cream-coloured and fine sands. It ...

• was the most established which had stores that sold fresh and mouth-watering seafood’s. The island offered fish-feeding while I was actually underwater. It was actually fun to see little to medium sized fishes swarm at my hand as I waved my delicious looking fish food. The little ones even started nibbling on my feet which was really ticklish! The corals as well as the fishes that sought shelter in them were very vibrant and colourful. The guide warned me about touching or stepping on corals. He told me that their numbers are starting to decline because of the effects of global warming. As I rode our boat back to the port, I was treated with a group of dolphins swimming along with our boat.
        Watching them swim beside the boat felt intimate and personal. And because the water was clear, I could see them dive beneath and resurface for air. It was truly an amazing experience to see them. I was completely in awe as I watched the dolphins.

For those who seek an intimate and an in-depth experience with nature, going to Snake Island, Puerto Princesa will definitely satisfy your thirst for curiosity and adventure. This place has certainly a lot of things to offer like cruising the underground rive, spelunking, diving, island hopping, scuba diving and snorkelling. Just be sure to bring your sunblock and some comfortable set of slippers because you’ll be doing a lot of exploring in Snake Island, Puerto Princesa. I rate this place a 10!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3821101303370931/k2311a1021/10.21.10