Indecent Proposal movie (1993)
  • I thought that scene was priceless, and I truly felt for him, as he comes across as a broken man who suddenly realizes that he screwed things up for himself and his marriage
  • My other favorite scene in the movie was when John tells Diana a heart-breaking story about a personal experience that he lived through as a young man--an experience that has stayed with him until that very day
  • All in all I enjoyed Indecent Proposal and I thought it was very entertaining, if somewhat unrealistic

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I’m sure that most of you out there have already seen “Indecent Proposal,” considering all of the hype surrounding it. But for those of you who have never seen the film, I will offer you my personal opinions on it. I remember being anxious to see this movie before it even came out, after I had seen all of the advertisements about it. The storyline was something that I had never seen handled before in a movie.

The movie follows a young married couple, David (Woody Harrelson) and Diana (Demi Moore) who are struggling to make ends meet. Along comes the classy and sophisticated multi-millionaire John Gage (Robert Redford), who tries to help them ease their money woes by offering the couple a million dollars for a night with Diana. They wrestle with the moral dilemma that this poses, but not for very long. Only a day or two later, they say yes to John’s proposition. Of course we know what will happen next. Guilt sets in after the night is over. David regrets that he let Diana go through with the deal. He becomes jealous. (After all, we ARE talking about Robert Redford

here!) In short, their decision to choose money over fidelity ends up tearing their marriage apart. To make things worse, John tries to pursue a real relationship with Diana and actually begins to win her over. We see how this destroys David internally, as he realizes that he is nowhere near as polished and cultured as John is.

He knows that he can never offer Diana the kind of high-class, upscale life that John can. So of course the big question that remains is will he somehow find a way to get his wife back in spite of this?

When I went into this movie, I wasn’t thrilled that Woody Harrelson was cast as the tortured and guilt-ridden husband. I had only seen him previously as the sweet but naive Woody Boyd on the hit comedy “Cheers,” so I was rather skeptical that he could pull this role off convincingly. But after seeing it, I was pleasantly surprised by the range of his dramatic acting talent. I thought he did very well. I especially liked his acting in the scene when he realizes at the last minute that he made a mistake ...

• letting Diana go off with Gage. He frantically tries to stop her, but it is too late. I thought that scene was priceless, and I truly felt for him, as he comes across as a broken man who suddenly realizes that he screwed things up for himself and his marriage. But I do find it so hard to believe that a loving married man would permit his wife to sleep with another man, million dollars or no million dollars, and especially given the fact that he agreed to it so quickly. I mean really, folks, he could have taken a second job to help pay the bills. Or she could have, for that matter. After all, in the first twenty or so minutes of the movie, we see them as a very happy married couple who are totally devoted to each other. It just doesn’t add up.

My other favorite scene in the movie was when John tells Diana a heart-breaking story about a personal experience that he lived through as a young man–an experience that has stayed with him until that very day. (As I later read, the same monologue–or a very similar

one–was uttered by one of the characters in the movie “Citizen Kane.” I just thought I’d throw that out there for all of you movie-trivia lovers!) Wow, that little speech John gave and the touching way that he gave it really got to me. What a beautiful scene. I will not spoil it for you. You need to see it and hear his voice in order to know what I’m talking about.

All in all I enjoyed “Indecent Proposal” and I thought it was very entertaining, if somewhat unrealistic. It is a good date movie, as it leaves room for much speculation and conversation afterward. I could picture a group of friends going around the room as they ask each other the burning question, would you do that? Or, would you let your wife do that? The movie teaches married couples about the dangers of infidelity and that they should never take their marriage vows and the life they have built together for granted. Without giving away the ending, I will just make one more remark: Diana, you should pick John. After all, what woman in her right mind would choose Woody Harrelson over Robert Redford? (Not this one.)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120101302610231/k2311a1020/10.20.10