Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements, A 48- Card Deck
  • I bought a copy of Don Miguel Ruiz’s The Four Agreements shortly after he appeared as a guest on Oprah years ago
  • If I’d had to pay sixteen bucks for them sight unseen I think I would’ve passed on them
  • As it was I decided not to purchase the cards that day
  • I like the size of these cards, the square shape fits very comfortably in my hand
  • I might consider buying more of them as gifts

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I bought a copy of Don Miguel Ruiz’s The Four Agreements shortly after he appeared as a guest on Oprah years ago. I remember this book as being one of the few new spiritual self help books to come out that didn’t strike me as absolute nonsense.

I first came across these Four Agreements cards recently in a new age bookstore. I was kind of able to play with them a bit because they’d opened a box for customers to look at. That was a good idea I think. If I’d had to pay sixteen bucks for them sight unseen I think I would’ve passed on them. As it was I decided not to purchase the cards that day. I had to think about it. Two weeks later, I was still thinking about them, so I wound up purchasing them when I was at Borders.

These cards are on my bedside table now. I like the size of these cards, the square shape fits very comfortably in my hand. I don’t know why square things are more satisfying to hold for some reason. Anyway, on the front

side of each card is written one of the four agreements with an accompanying message and illustration. I don’t care for the illustrations all that much. They’re just a bit too cartoony for my taste. It’s a bit distracting. I prefer the reverse side of the cards. This contains colorful abstract art with perhaps a small illustration of a flower or a bird or something, as well as an explanation of each message. It’s much less distracting to look at and the colors are just beautiful. Looking at them is soothing and kind of reminds me of when I used to paint a lot. Yet the art doesn’t overpower the message, just supports it. The text is a nice size too with an easy to read font. So, I’d feel comfortable recommending them for anyone who has trouble with small type.

More than being mind blowing revelations, the messages in these cards offer me encouragement and reinforce positive thought. My bed is really where I do most of my reflecting, planning and unfortunately most of my negative thoughts creep in. It’s especially helpful to have these ...

• cards within easy reach if I’ve just woken up having a disturbing dream or if I can’t get to sleep because I am worried about the next day. There really is power in words, and I believe a carefully worded message can work magic on a person’s attitude. Most of the messages on these cards ring true to me. There’s none of those cryptic, make me go “huh?” kind of messages. I guess that’s what I liked about the book when I first read it.

Sadly, due to a break up the book I purchased years ago is no longer in my possession. I think if I still had the book with me, it might be harder to justify this purchase. I mean, if you have the book do you really need the cards? I thought about that for a while. I realized that you do not read spiritual books from cover to cover and move on as you would another book. Whether it’s Don Miguel Ruiz, or Deepak Chopra or whatever it’s repeated reading of passages that is most helpful in making the changes

you need to grow spiritually. That’s what makes dividing the lessons into these little nuggets kind of genius in my opinion.

Now,in general I don’t recommend gifts of this sort to casual acquaintances. I believe you have to know the person pretty well before you give them gifts that contain spiritual advice. However, if you have a dear friend or family member who is into spiritual self help, or better yet has the book then I think these cards would be an appropriate gift. In particular, I think artists would appreciate this deck of cards. In my case this was a gift that I gave to myself. Although sixteen dollars was just a wee bit more than I wanted to pay for a deck of cards, so far that I have not regretted the purchase at all. I have consulted them every single day since I bought them. I might consider buying more of them as gifts. I can think of at least two people in my life who I think would really enjoy them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4618101300800131/k2311a1018/10.18.10