Sedona Hotel Yangon Myanmar  » Hotels  »
Myanmar (Burma)
  • The last week I was there, touring golf professionals, a former President of an Asian country, and several officials from the United Nations were booked at the hotel, so security was not a problem
  • On my last night, we ate from the special buffet dinner at the tropical garden behind the hotel and it was a delightful experience for me, listening to a Filipino band sing 1980's tunes
  • Oh, yes, there's cable television, CNN, and BBC, but I think any reports not good for the government are edited out with advertisements

• by CEOric
      Sedona Hotel Yangon is a paradise in this city, a 5-star hotel fit for a king. Whenever I go to Myanmar (that’s Burma for many people) for business, I stay in this 366-room luxury hotel managed by Singapore-based Sedona Hotels International, who knows how to manage hotels in Asia and give tourists, businessmen, and people like me a place where we can rest and have a good time. Sedona Hotel Yangon (that’s Rangoon) is on an 8-acre property just across the road from Inya Lake, 15 minutes from the international airport and right in the middle of the capital, Yangon. I usually get a room on the side fronting the lake, so whenever I wake up, I see the body of water (murky and marshy, but the smell is of a fresh lake) before me.

The hotel is within walking distance (an ambling, relaxed 20-minute walk) to the famed golden Shwedagon Pagoda, the biggest and most majestic in the country. (In case you are wondering, the house of Au San Suu Kyi, the dissident Nobel Peace Prize winner, is on University Road, a few minutes from the hotel. I chanced upon it while walking one evening and came upon some heavily barricaded portion, when I was told that I couldn’t proceed any further).

Back to the hotel. The rooms are elegant and comfortable, beautifully-crafted, and graceful, a place where I can relax at the end of the working day after negotiating with the Generals who run the country. As soon as you enter the lobby, with the usual shops to your left, you know that you are in ...

• paradise.

The hotel has several restaurants that serve good and very cheap food. For Mediterranean dishes, I go to Orzo. Du Fu serves oriental cuisine, including the most spicy Indochinese dishes within a thousand kilometers (to cool my tongue, I always order the Hainanese Chicken, so soft and sweet that my mouth craves for more, but alas, my tummy complains).

At night, I savor Irish delights at Paddy’s Irish Fun Pub and Sports Bar, where the drinks are cool and the air is hot. An upscale fine dining restaurant, Brasserie, is where the top brass meet for dinner. The last week I was there, touring golf professionals, a former President of an Asian country, and several officials from the United Nations were booked at the hotel, so security was not a problem.

On my last night, we ate from the special buffet dinner at the tropical garden behind the hotel and it was a delightful experience for me, listening to a Filipino band sing 1980’s tunes. E-mail and Internet are available at the business center, but you know that Big Brother is watching (it’s a dictatorship after all), so better be careful. The published rates are less than US$100 a night, and if your travel agent does her job, you can get it for 20-30% lower.

Sedona Hotel Yangon is at No. 1 Kaba Aye Pagoda Road, Yankin Township, Yangon, Myanmar. Tel.

(95) 1 666 900. Fax (95) 1 666 911. Oh, yes, there’s cable television, CNN, and BBC, but I think any reports not good for the government are edited out with advertisements.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2271013000431/k2311a1027/10.27.05