Junior Term Abroad Program (Ateneo de Manila School of Management)  » Education  »
  • The Junior Term Abroad is a great experience
  • I was impressed with the wide range of modules, many of which were not offered in the Philippines
  • I found that the system in NUS encouraged students to be more independent as compared to the system in the Philippines, where students are guided more thoroughly and given many requirements with every lesson
  • Back home, I never had to wash my own clothes, or clean the house, or cook, which I learned to do during the semester abroad
  • I am grateful to Ateneo for this experience and I recommend everyone to participate in this program

• by TheCity

Ateneo de Manila is one of the most prestigious universities in the Philippines. One of its programs is the Junior Term Abroad which is offered to students from the Ateneo School of Management. Students apply and are chosen based on their academic performance, extra-curricular activities, as well as the number of slots available in the partner universities all over the world—US, Japan, Singapore, China, France, Australia, etc. Those who are chosen get to study at a partner university for one semester. Some of the universities give limited scholarships; others grant partial subsidies, while others just give slots which you have to pay for.

The Junior Term Abroad is a great experience. Along with a few other people, I was able to go to the National University of Singapore (NUS), which is one of the top schools in the world. We had the option to choose

our own modules (although not all were available), as long as we would come out with enough number of credits. I was impressed with the wide range of modules, many of which were not offered in the Philippines. I found that the system in NUS encouraged students to be more independent as compared to the system in the Philippines, where students are guided more thoroughly and given many requirements with every lesson. I personally prefer the latter, although I can see the benefits of the former. What I liked best was that the students in the university were so diverse, and that exposed us to all kinds of people and cultures. We were able to form ties and friendships with people from all over the world and compare our educational system back home to that of NUS. It really pushed us to do our best as ...

• we wanted to represent our school and country well. We found that we were able to compete internationally as our grades ranged from good to exemplary and this boosted our confidence and increased our drive to further improve.

I enjoyed the semester very much. I loved the big campus and the facilities and the chance to go around on my own. Back home, I never had to wash my own clothes, or clean the house, or cook, which I learned to do during the semester abroad. We were also able to travel around the area during breaks. I am so grateful for this experience because aside from the experience and additional education and credentials, it gave me new friends, and made me a lot more mature.

Some sacrifices have to be made, though. If you participate in the program, your normal schedule will be disrupted as

you will have to take the first semester in Ateneo during the summer, and the second semester right after you come back from abroad. This means 5 semesters straight without a long break. An advantage of being segregated into this group would mean being given good teachers during your special semesters. This also means being separated from the rest of your batch on your junior year which prevents you from getting to know a lot of people as it is in the third year in Ateneo where the block system is less rigid and you get to mingle with different people. Some people even graduate later, depending on the schedule of their term abroad. However, this is a small price to pay for the experience.

Overall, the pros outweigh the cons by a mile. I am grateful to Ateneo for this experience and I recommend everyone to participate in this program.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5015101298471231/k2311a1015/10.15.10