Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 40 camera  » Cameras  »
  • We get an electronic color view finder on top that I found to be very useful in bright light conditions
  • The camera automatically selects for you the best scene mode this may come in handy for non experienced users
  • Unfortunately Panasonic put a too tiny sensor for the 14 mega pixel that this camera is capable of
  • I know, by now you may be confused, you get a camera with great design and features, lots of options, great video mode even though this camera is made to shoot still images, and you don’t know what to do, does it worth 400$ or it doesn’t
  • Don’t get me wrong I really don’t want to say that the new Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 40 is a bad camera, on the contrary I think that it is a great camera, especially if you want to take it with you in your trips and vacations, but it is definitely not for advanced camera users

• by Brock

This is a review of the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 40 camera. This camera model should be a follower from the well known Panasonic Lumix FZ38/35. The lens, are DC VARIO ELMARIT. It is a 24x optical zoom and super zoom and I have to warn you that is not the most portable camera in the world if you know what I mean. When Panasonic announced this model, they said that it will have, advanced manual controls and that is obvious when you see the camera.

In the back you will notice a control dial, a four way directional pad that has exposure compensation, ISO, and an assignable button that lets us assign what feature we want, we have self time and an auto focus and auto exposure lock button. You will also see a quick focus button on top and a large mode dial stocked with shooting modes. We also get an independent video record button so you can shoot no matter in what mode we are in the mode dial that I have mentioned earlier. There is also a big shutter button, no need to explain what that is.

The LCD of this camera is not out of the ordinary, and it is fixed, it does not pull out, neither does it rotate like other cameras that are in this range of price and

performance. We get an electronic color view finder on top that I found to be very useful in bright light conditions. There is a pop up flash on top. On left and right side there is a microphone located on top, for the video mode.

I have to say that the flash works extremely well just make sure that you don’t have the lens hood on when you shoot because you will get shadows and the picture will be awkward. This camera runs on SD memory card. The new Lumix from Panasonic has a generous battery that offers a very good autonomy. For shooting features we will start with the manual mode.

It has a 60 second shutter speed, which I found to be excellent for long exposure shootings. ISO goes to sixteen hundred and there is a reason for that, I am pretty sure that Panasonic does not want to exceed sixteen hundred since this camera has a very basic images and I will get to that when I will talk about the image quality that this model is capable of. There are loads of focus modes it is useless to describe each and every one because you have to see them for yourself. Any white balance setting can be controlled by a color grid using the four way directional pad that I have mentioned ...

• earlier.

The FZ 40 gives us four different aspect ratios to shoot in. I liked the fact that the menu of this Lumix model is very speedy, no lagging, the options are very easy to access even for an amateur. The camera automatically selects for you the best scene mode this may come in handy for non experienced users. The FZ40 also offers an art mode that compiles lots of different digital effects that can be applied to still images or to high definition videos which is very good.

So as far as shooting features there are plenty of them. We have got a good design, plenty of features now let us talk about image quality. Unfortunately Panasonic put a too tiny sensor for the 14 mega pixel that this camera is capable of. What is the final result from this combination you may ask, well the final quality of the image suffers because you will see that you get a basic image, you will get to much noise and lack of detail.

I would have expected a bigger sensor especially when I pay this much for it. Ironically the video mode is way better than photo mode. It is AVCHD light, it is 720p, 30 frames per second but you can’t really do low light because the sensor has limited sensitivity, and that is the

only downside of the video mode. Basically in bright light conditions the camera is decent but in low light the noise will be all over.

I know, by now you may be confused, you get a camera with great design and features, lots of options, great video mode even though this camera is made to shoot still images, and you don’t know what to do, does it worth 400$ or it doesn’t. If you do a lot of cropping and you are not concerned with the quality of the image than the FZ 40 may be a viable option. Now if you want to see your masterpieces in an art gallery admired by everyone, then the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 40 is not the camera for you. Don’t get me wrong I really don’t want to say that the new Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 40 is a bad camera, on the contrary I think that it is a great camera, especially if you want to take it with you in your trips and vacations, but it is definitely not for advanced camera users.

If you are an advanced user then you can look in the same range of price at some Cannon models or why not try a Nikon, but as I said Lumix DMC FZ 40 is not a viable option if you are taking photography very seriously.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4315101298071131/k2311a1015/10.15.10