Tomos Nitro 50: 49cc Scooter  » Other  »
  • I had a Tomos in the past that looked like a bicycle with a motor, and I was pleased with my experience
  • After shopping around a little more, I decided that this was the one for me
  • Since the day I bought it, I've put over 4K miles on it
  • When I'm in a headwind, I rarely have a problem with resistance
  • I highly recommend this scooter to anybody who wants something to save on fuel

• by Ricardo L

Recently I was in the market for an inexpensive moped that I could use to ride around town save on fuel. I knew about the ultra cheap “Scooter Depot” scooters that were priced well under a thousand bucks, a price I figured can’t buy quality. I came across the $1499 Tomos Nitro 50. I had a Tomos in the past that looked like a bicycle with a motor, and I was pleased with my experience. After shopping around a little more, I decided that this was the one for me. Since the day I bought it, I’ve put over 4K miles on it. I loved every mile.

The styling of the scooter is pretty nice. It’s rather futuristic and quite aerodynamic. When I’m in a headwind, I rarely have a problem with resistance. The scoter actually pretty big for a 49cc. It comes with a convenient storage compartment right under the seat, big enough to store your helmet so you don’t have to take it with you (a very convenient feature). The exhaust has an awesome real-looking “high performance tip” that’s actually a

shroud for the actual pipe (simple half inch pipe material). The instrument panel is carbon fiber colored platic that looks pretty cool and real from a distance. The guages are a good size- not too big, not too small, just right. The black tri-spoke wheels really set it off. The only issue is the stupid inset screw on the nose. I’ve gotten used to it but it’s still pretty annoying to look at. Other than that, awesome styling. 9.5/10.

The scooter is very comfortable. The seat is wide so your butt doesn’t go numb after half an hour. The step-through feature is great when getting on, and its presence is useful even when riding it- it gives you the ability to put your legs really anywhere you want. There is also a lot of foward platform room; I’m 6 foot 1 and I can strech my legs out nicely. I can easily ride this scooter for a few hours and not have any discomfort. The suspension is actually decent. I can go over pretty deep holes and heavy bumps and hardly feel them.

The ...

• ultimate question about a 49cc scooter is its ability to go and keep up with traffic. In the 4K miles I’ve put on mine, I have found that the Nitro 50 can do that well. The acceleration easily keeps up with traffic. Generally speaking I can go from 0 to 30 in just a few seconds, which puts me right on the tail of the car in front of me. It can go faster than the listed 30mph top speed, but judging by the vibrations it makes, I don’t think it’s supposed to go much faster than 35. It runs very efficiently and quietly at 30, with excellent power up hills. The steepest hill I can find dropped me to a constant 20mph. Not bad for 2.1hp. The Nitro 50 has a 4 stroke engine, meaning no more mixing oil and fuel. It also makes it a lot quieter and less annoying. On a long trip I appreciate not having to deal with a loud, piercing noise. In most cases it gets anywhere from 95 to 105 mpg. I’ve had times where I
        ran it fast and got 70, and times where I rode very conservitably and got close to 120. But either way, that’s awesome fuel mileage. Gas prices are quickly going up and this can save you a lot of money.

In 4K miles I’ve had very few mechanical issues. Nothing really asside from the scheduled maintenance. Oil should be changed every 500-700 miles, which isn’t anything to complain about. However, I had an issue with the seat latch. The bar often slid under the latch, making it difficult to open and impossible to do so without making the spring fall off. Then you have to go through the hassle of taking the seat off and putting it back on. My suggestion- carry a rachet and a 10mm socket with you. You may need it. Other than that, haven’t had any problems.

Overallt this is a really good scooter. It’s certainly worth the $1499 price tag. It’s reliable, durable, and above all, economical. I highly recommend this scooter to anybody who wants something to save on fuel. It’s an awesome product that shouldn’t give you any problems.

quick note by anonymous :

I also have the same scooter. I love it. It rides great, is comfortable, and is very peppy. It is also well-built. In fcat it is a compromise between a low-cost Chinese scooter and a scooter from Taiwan. A bit expenses for a Chinese bike, but better made than most.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1214101297041131/k2311a1014/10.14.10