Doctor Who: Season 5, Episode 10: Vincent and The Doctor (TV Show)
  • I like most of the episodes of this season (or series as it's called in England) but my favorite was Vincent and The Doctor
  • But, I was very impressed by Tony Curran, playing Vincent

• by Angelwriter

I’m a relatively new Doctor Who fan. I started midway through David Tennant’s run as the Tenth Doctor. I’ve continued on with Matt Smith playing the Eleventh Doctor.

I like most of the episodes of this season (or series as it’s called in England) but my favorite was “Vincent and The Doctor”. It’s a beautiful, melancholy episode.

The story of the episode is basically The Doctor and his companion, Amy, travel back in time

to save Vincent Van Gogh from an alien creature that only Vincent can see. The creature ultimately plays a pretty small part in the story. I was okay with that. I watch shows for the characters and to get emotionally invested in them and what happens to them. The story was really the look at a brilliant and troubled man.

I already became a fan of Matt Smith and Karen Gillian (Amy) ...

• from the prior episodes. But, I was very impressed by Tony Curran, playing Vincent. He captured the torment of the man very well. There’s also a scene where The Doctor gives him a moment of happiness that always makes me emotional. His amazement and joy was so wonderful, it was almost heartbreaking. He started to cry, and I could understand how he could be crying with happiness. During the scene, the
        song “Changes” by Athlete plays. I think it was a lovely accompaniment.

What I like is there was no easy answer. It’s not a deep look into depression, but as far as the episode addresses the subject, it didn’t try to pretend that everything could be solved by a couple of time travelers in a blue box. At the end of the episode, The Doctor tells Amy something that’s part sad, part hopeful, and very profound.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1013101295080331/k2311a1013/10.13.10