Atoll freeware game
1.5
  • I think that the designers got real lazy at some point, which is disappointing because what you are playing through the demo is the full version
  • The game itself is cute and has an interesting premise

• by Meklorka
      Do you like playing demos? How about really short demos? How about really short demos that only allow you to play twice? And on top of that, wouldn’t it be great if those supershort demos were advertised as freeware?

Well, here is your dream come true: Atoll, a freeware game that is not freeware but rather a demo you get to play twice. You might get an hour�s enjoyment out of it, if you are lucky. I got more enjoyment playing a demo Diner Dash 2 for an hour than playing Atoll.

Why? Because BigFishGames, which distributes Diner Dash 2 online, was kind enough to tell me what

I was downloading was indeed a demo that would expire after one hour of playing. It was also better because I could not beat Diner Dash 2 in one hour, where as I beat Atoll within an hour easily.

Imagine my surprise when, after less than an hour of gameplay and no advancement of any kind that I am told �You won!�. I won what exactly? I did the same thing for half an hour straight? How did I win?? I think that the designers got real lazy at some point, which is disappointing because what you are playing through the demo is the full version.

I question ...

• the wisdom of trying to market a game so short through a demo which is distributed to freeware sites. I highly doubt they will make any money at all from this venture.

The game itself is cute and has an interesting premise. It is a tetris clone (yeah, why would anyone pay for tetris? Come on now.

) that features cute little creatures that you drop from the sky onto a cloud. Beneath the clowd is the creatures home, an island (hence the name atoll, although if we are dealing with only one island it is a rather silly name).

The creatures come in different colors. Drop them so

that four or more of the same color touch each other and they fall through the cloud to their home.

Aside from some horrifically annoying, old school sounding sound effects, that�s it. It is fun, while it lasts, but not worth buying and not worth the download since you only get to play it twice and it is so short.

It is annoying that they distribute it on freeware websites, where they then hire shillers to promote it for them via reviews. A much better choice of the same vein of thought is Freetirx, which really is free, about the same filesize if not smaller, and a much more entertaining (and longer!) game.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 282002129390928/k2311a0220/2.20.07