Maybelline EyeExpress Easy Lining Pen
  • I think in general the biggest failling of liquid eyeliner is the applicator
  • I remember my worst experience with liquid eyeliner - it was ok for an hour or two and then for some reason got clumpy, gritty and nasty and was still hell to get off
  • I bought a shade of taupe and was very pleased to find it actually was a very pretty brown that really brought out my green eyes
  • Haven�t tried the other shades yet, as the store where I buy my makeup only had the taupe left, but based on the performance of the color I tried I would recommend trying the other colors as well
  • It still is the best of all the liquid eyeliners I have tried so far especially because of its applicaor, which provides you with the ability to apply it with precision

• by Meklorka
      This is perhaps one of the first Maybelline products I have not been burned by (thankfully not literally). Maybe they are starting to use some of their large advertising budget for product design. I have had a rocky history with liquid eyeliners, probably more so than with any other cosmetic product. I think in general the biggest failling of liquid eyeliner is the applicator.

Using a brush to apply anything other than blush or lip gloss makes no sense. A brush strips the user of all control and prevents a person from applying their make-up with any precision. Brushes are good for big areas that need light coats.

Eyeliner is the antithesis of this - you need a definate line that is thin and solid. Conversly though the other requirement of eyeliner is that it help you define your eyebrows which requires a different kind of stroke altogether - one that is lighter and more feathery and natrual looking. Perhaps this is why,

as a group, liquid eyeliners fail so spectacularly.

This is probably also why pencils are so successful - they give you the most control over the kind of stroke you wish to create. However, pencils do have their own set of problems, the biggest of which is their usual lack of intensity and lack of finesse. Too easily the pencil dulls and creates too broad a line.

Too many pencils lack captivating color - the browns are lackluster and dull, the blacks too flat and dead looking. Even people who enjoy the goth look want a better black eyeliner than that! Liquid eyeliners generally have a more intense color - shiny, bold and beautiful - but that means very little if you can even get it on right or if it comes off too easily. I remember my worst experience with liquid eyeliner - it was ok for an hour or two and then for some reason got clumpy, gritty and nasty and ...

• was still hell to get off.

Maybelline’s eye express easy lining pen (gosh what a mouthful!) manages to evade most problems that plague liquid eyeliners, thanks in great part to the fact that they do not use a brush, but instead provide a little felt tip for easy application. If you have steady hands then the application will indeed be easy. If not you can smudge off the little mistakes if you do so quickly.

It takes about a minute or two to dry completely and after that it will smear a tiny, tiny bit but not enough that you will look bad - in fact, in smears just enough to make you look natural. Color intensity is not sacrificed, thankfully. I bought a shade of taupe and was very pleased to find it actually was a very pretty brown that really brought out my green eyes.

Haven�t tried the other shades yet, as the store where I buy my makeup only had

the taupe left, but based on the performance of the color I tried I would recommend trying the other colors as well. My one real problem with this eyeliner is that it does not always stay on for as long as one might like it to. Sometimes it performs well, sometimes it does not.

I have found this to be true both when I line my eyebrows and my eyes. Though I do have the tendency to rub my eye area sometimes it is also possible that this product just does not want to stay on. I am a fairly active person with slightly oily skin, so your results may differ.

I still recommend this product, though I wish that it would be a little bit less tempermental in terms of its staying power. It still is the best of all the liquid eyeliners I have tried so far especially because of its applicaor, which provides you with the ability to apply it with precision.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312002129370928/k2311a0220/2.20.07