Mobistar  » Cellular services  »
  • There are also disadvantages in this subscriber plan
  • I brought this up to the attention of the Mobistar’s Service Clientele and so far this issue has not been resolved
  • At the end of the day, when the rates are nearly similar to that of a minute call, then in my opinion it would be better to pick up the phone and make a call rather than sending an SMS
  • I also did not like that the amounts are debited automatically from my account because I feel that should a discrepancy appear in their system or errors in the billing system, then it would be difficult to get my money back (I knew there is no other way to avoid this as a bank account number is needed when I signed the contract)
  • At the moment, Mobistar as a post paid cellular service provider is convenient

• by bethbarl

I did not want a post paid phone service because managing another account is an administrative burden. I already have a post paid plan in Luxembourg and I did not need another one in Belgium. A prepaid phone would have been sufficient. But, I was convinced at the shop (Krefel) that Mobistar would have advantages. I have mixed feelings about this.

The advantages I saw were: sign-up was rather quick and the activation of the number came 2 days after; the network is pretty reliable as it has good signal strength in or around the house (except in areas where there is plenty of foliage or lots of thicket and in moving trains); their website is easy to navigate and all the details are there.

There are also disadvantages in this subscriber plan: the rates are quite expensive (€.025/ minute

mobile to mobile during peak hours; an international SMS €0.37). I could go on and on about the prices but this gives an idea of how expensive cellular communications can be.

The billing system is complicated to understand. I have a MY15 plan and the kids have a MY5 plan. The way I interpret it, there is a fixed price of €15 each month or about 22 free minutes (I am bound to this contract for 24 months without the possibility of changing carriers or modifying anything in the plan). The free minutes are only valid from one Mobistar number to another as I see all the other calls are billed separately (or in addition).

SMS are also charged on top of the €15 – nothing such as a free SMS. I still have problems using the SMS service as ...

• although messages are marked as sent on my phone, the recipient never got it. I could receive messages though but could not send them out. I brought this up to the attention of the Mobistar’s Service Clientele and so far this issue has not been resolved.

Of all the 4 cellular phones (one for each member of the family) I have in the house, the only one capable of sending and receiving SMS is my daughter’s number. At the end of the day, when the rates are nearly similar to that of a minute call, then in my opinion it would be better to pick up the phone and make a call rather than sending an SMS.

their system or errors in the billing system, then it would be difficult to get my money back (I knew there is no other way to avoid this as a bank account number is needed when I signed the contract).

At the moment, Mobistar as a post paid cellular service provider is convenient. At the back of my mind, I am still wondering if it would have been better to stick to prepaid phone cards. In the first few months, it was quite practical to have a mobile phone when I did not have a land line yet installed in the house. I could make calls without worrying that my phone credits will run out. However, I will be closely tracking my communications usage very closely to see if it is worth sticking it out with this company or not.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2211101292080731/k2311a1011/10.11.10