Vagisil Screening Kit for Vaginal Infections 2 count package  » Medicine  »
  • I bought this Vagisil screening kit because I was concerned I might have a yeast infection, or some other type of infection, because of itching and burning symptoms
  • I am prone to yeast overgrowth because of being diabetic, and I thought this might save me a trip to the doctor’s office if it was yeast, since I can treat that with over the counter medication
  • So for me, this kit did actually help and serve a purpose, but I am still a bit skeptical about its usefulness and safety for women who perhaps have a more serious problem going on, who would just assume that because their ph was normal, then they “must” have a yeast infection
  • While I feel this is a useful product, I think the warnings and advice should be a little more specific

• by reviewabit

I bought this Vagisil screening kit because I was concerned I might have a yeast infection, or some other type of infection, because of itching and burning symptoms. I am prone to yeast overgrowth because of being diabetic, and I thought this might save me a trip to the doctor’s office if it was yeast, since I can treat that with over the counter medication. The principle this kit works on is that the vaginal PH is elevated if a bacterial infection or a certain STD is present.

If the PH is within 4. 5 range or so, it is considered normal.

I understand how it is supposed to work, but it is not very exact and a bit confusing. If

you have normal PH, then a yeast infection would be a diagnosis of exclusion– because it does not really prove that the symptoms are from yeast, as a look under a microscope would show definitively.

So this kit does not substitute for a doctor’s visit at all, if I am understanding it correctly. It actually gives you very little information with which to make a diagnosis, and the tell-tale sign of this is that it tells you if this is a “first time” yeast infection, to see your doctor– this is not really necessary if it would prove it was indeed fungal.

This same warning has been put on over the counter yeast medications since they were first introduced. I used ...

• the kit, which was a two-pack deal.

I used both wands just to be sure it was consistent. The ph on my results were normal, and I bought an over the counter yeast treatment, assuming this was indeed a yeast infection.

The treatment worked, so I guess it was correct. So for me, this kit did actually help and serve a purpose, but I am still a bit skeptical about its usefulness and safety for women who perhaps have a more serious problem going on, who would just assume that because their ph was normal, then they “must” have a yeast infection.

A normal ph along with symptoms could mean a lot of things besides yeast– and it would delay treatment if

that was wrongfully assumed. If this turned out to be something very threatening to their health, I wonder if they could even take action against Vagisil.

I would hope that most women have sense enough to know that if they are not 100% sure what it is, they need to get it checked by a doctor, not an over the counter kit. While I feel this is a useful product, I think the warnings and advice should be a little more specific.

This kit should probably only be used by women who are very familiar with yeast infections and have no significant risk of sexually transmitted disease. I give it a 9 for its effectiveness– for it did work correctly and was fairly easy to use.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2611101291790631/k2311a1011/10.11.10