SONY PRS-300  » Electronics  »
  • The fact that for me was how can an electronic device ever replicate the excitement of physically turning each page to read another chapter of your favourite book
  • Though there is a PRS-600 available I prefer the simplicity of this as the 600 has far more features which may become confusing

• by Ticktock

Being a big fan of reading books I was a little skeptical of these contraptions that claimed to store books in digital format.

Despite electronic books being openly available on the market for a while now I have never personally wanted to own such a thing.

Why?

The fact that for me was how can an electronic device ever replicate the excitement of physically turning each page to read another chapter of your favourite book? Another thing against it for me was the size of these contraptions as until recently they seemed to be ginormous in size compared to relatively toned down version that I currently own and am now reviewing - the Sony PRS-300.

I have to be completely honest here in this review and say I didn’t want one of these at

all and would have never purchased one for myself. My husband was stuck for Christmas present ideas however and decided that with me being an avid evening reader it would benefit me to own one..really?!

Anyway you may think I am being negative in this review so far as I seem to have been slating this but let me tell you now you couldn’t be further from the truth. This electronic book has now become one of my prized possessions due to it’s uniqueness and easy to use capabilities.

To use is actually very easy to do and you simply slide the switch which is directly at the top of the PRS-300. This instantly takes you back to the ‘page’ and exact position you were at on your last ‘log in’ similarly to if you ...

• had a bookmark in a regular book so there is no searching through several options which is fantastic.

There are buttons on the front which are all quite self explanatory and feature words such as Home (which obviously takes you to the home page), Back lets you go back a page or jump back to the menu system. Then there is Bookmark which again explains itself as what it is and lastly there is Enlarge. The enlarge function allows you to have the text in a number of sizes making it easier for your eye to read - a plus as far as ‘regular’ books are concerned that obviously can’t do this.

Would I recommend this?

For someone who was always so adamant that I wouldn’t go down this road of owning and

using something such as this I actually can’t rave about it enough. It is an ideal bedtime companion (don’t tell my husband!) but more so it is ffantastic for when you are away from home. It is very easy to add ebooks to this and all is explained in the instructions so no need to get stressed out if you are thinking about getting one.

Though there is a PRS-600 available I prefer the simplicity of this as the 600 has far more features which may become confusing. This is ideal for me anyway as the features are to a minimum and are actually very straightforward.

Another top feature is the battery life which lasts a long time without having to recharge so this in my eyes can really do no wrong as much as I hate to say it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611101291340631/k2311a1011/10.11.10