South Pier Arcade - Lowestoft Sea Front  » Entertainment  »
South Pier Royal Plain, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR33 0AE
  • What impressed me most about this arcade was that the man who was in the prize and change booth was very polite and helpful
  • I know this is his job but I can imagine that this is not the most rewarding job in the world and many treat you poorly as they have no interest in what they are doing but this man was different
  • The arcade was enjoyable anyway but he did add to this experience

• by JustHonest

On a recent visit to Lowestoft with my son, I was anticipating quite a lot to do on the sea front as Duncan Bannatyne had visited here to help improve things a little.

I have to admit though, I struggled to really find what had been done as I didn’t recognise a lot from what had been featured on the show. Perhaps I was in the wrong place, but we soon saw the South Pier and my son was attracted to the arcade so we went to take a look.

Like many piers on our sea front, it would be fair to say it looked a little old and battered

and the outside of the arcade which was named South Pier, also looked pretty old and dirty.

On entry to this arcade though, it didn’t look too bad. Often they are full of people who look like they are homeless whilst they smell and the carpets are dirty, but this was actually quite refreshing and none of this really applied.

There was a large array of slot machines for both the older and younger user. From your slot machines where you can win money, to those mainly for the children where you can play games and win tickets to exchange for prizes.

There were plenty of change machines around as well ...

• in-case you didn’t have the correct change for a specific game.

Set to one side, about halfway up on the left they had a game called Bowlingo. It was a smaller version of ten pin, with smaller lanes and balls, but at £1 per person it gave great value and entertainment and we spent a lot of time here.

What impressed me most about this arcade was that the man who was in the prize and change booth was very polite and helpful. He was often out fixing the games that had gone wrong for people and when I asked if he could change a whole pringle tube worth of

coppers he was more than helpful.

I know this is his job but I can imagine that this is not the most rewarding job in the world and many treat you poorly as they have no interest in what they are doing but this man was different.

The arcade was enjoyable anyway but he did add to this experience.

If you are ever in Lowestoft on the front and looking for something to, try South Pier. It might look dirty from the outside and it might only be an arcade, but you might just find you have more fun inside that you thought you would. Just don’t spend too many pennies!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5911101290980531/k2311a1011/10.11.10