The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie novel  » Books  »
  • The thing is, this is not the type of story I normally read, but I enjoyed it immensely
  • What I found most impressive is there is no sense of Gregory House in the character of Thomas Lang' the hero of the novel

• by Angelwriter

I got the novel The Gun Seller with mixed feelings of curiosity and skepticism. That was because it was written by Hugh Laurie, star of the television show House. I love his acting, but could he write? Or would this be an example of someone getting published because of fame, rather than writing ability?

My doubts were gone as soon as I read the book. It’s a

spoof of spy and action thrillers. The thing is, this is not the type of story I normally read, but I enjoyed it immensely. There are twists and turns and surprises. The dialogue is smart and snappy. Also,, despite having a light tone, he manages to add in seriousness and even a sense of melancholy that rings true. But there are also funny moments. And, they ...

• all blend in with a good helping of danger and suspense.

I liked that he didn’t feel the need to have vivid sex scenes. There is sex’ but Laurie didn’t feel the need to go into detail. It was enough to know it was happening and how it affected the relationships of the characters.

of Thomas Lang’ the hero of the novel. I imagined I would mentally be hearing House’s voice in my head. That wasn’t the case. I also didn’t detect Hugh Laurie, or any of the characters I’ve seen him play before. Thomas Lang is a completely new character. He’s skilled and smart, but overwhelmed in the mess he finds himself in. Laurie captured that perfectly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 176101287981231/k2311a106/10.6.10