Criminal Minds Season 6, Episode 2: “JJ”  » TV  »
  • It's hard to say I love an episode that means saying goodbye to a loved character
  • However, I think everyone involved did a beautiful job
  • I find this cast to be some of the best on television, and episodes like this give them a chance to simply show their skills
  • I thought the emotions of the characters were front and center and it was a beautiful, if sad thing to watch
  • But, I like that they decided to use moments of her with the team, just being there

• by Angelwriter

It’s hard to say I love an episode that means saying goodbye to a loved character. I knew AJ Cook, who played JJ, was going to leave in the second episode of season 6, and I was dreading it. However, I think everyone involved did a beautiful job.

As with every episode, there is a case. To me, it came secondary to saying goodbye to JJ. But, I still thought it was well written and acted. The thing I liked was almost the entire thing took place in interrogation rooms. I don’t mind action, but it’s also nice to sometimes to simply put two actors in a room and let them play off each other. I find this cast to be some of the best on television, and episodes like this give them a chance to simply show their skills. I also liked how the episode played with people’s expectations and then twisted them. They did this without any cheap tricks, just good old profiling and observation.

They also, as they normally do, remember that people in the cases aren’t puzzles that need to be solved, but human beings. That’s one of the things I love about this show.

But, this episode was mainly about losing JJ. I can say that I’ve almost never seen as loving a tribute to a character. I’ve also never seen such a blatant criticism of the network for choosing to fire her. They weaved all of the emotions I had at CBS into the story line and the reaction of the characters to finding out that she was leaving. There’s no doubt that no one agreed with this choice. And, they manage to do it without forgetting they are writing an episode, not a rant. Still, some of the comments the characters say were very pointed. And, I felt a little bit of twisted pleasure at each one. Even more, the sheer love of her family –the team she’s worked with for years- shone through. Along with the ...

• not so subtle barbs at CBS are not so subtle mentions of how important JJ was to the team and how the loss of her does matter and will affect them. One thing I appreciated is they didn’t take the easy and predictable option of how they would write her out. It would have been completely out of character and play into a sexist cliche. I’m glad they didn’t do that.

The last ten minutes were devoted completely to JJ and her leaving. They showed how much the team will miss her. I thought the emotions of the characters were front and center and it was a beautiful, if sad thing to watch. There are actual tears in the eyes of most of them, and I suspect it wasn’t all acting. They weren’t very demonstrative, but I don’t think they needed to be. How they felt was apparent to me. And there is a lovely and heartbreaking scene between JJ and Garcia, who breaks into

tears near the end. And, my own eyes started watering at that point.

The most beautiful moment of all came at the very end. JJ gives a voice over that I felt showed love for her coworkers, dignity, and grace. And, as she speaks, there’s a montage of scenes with her through the seasons of the show. I didn’t expect it, so it was amazing to see and heartbreaking. But, I also like the scenes they chose. They could have chosen scenes that showcased her ability as an agent. Because she was an excellent one. But, I like that they decided to use moments of her with the team, just being there. It drove home the point that this is a family and they’re losing a member.

If I wasn’t emotionally attached, I’d say this was an excellent episode. It was, but the fact that it had to be written at all was terrible. Still, the cast and crew should be commended for the fine job they did.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 106101287941231/k2311a106/10.6.10