Royal Sovereign Ultra Compact & Lightweight Portable Air Conditioner 9,000 BTU Model ARP-9009TL  » Housewares  »
  • This is by far the best portable air conditioner I could ever imagine owning
  • We still have it too even though we have air conditioning in our house, and when our air conditioner went out late this summer, we were able to pull this out and use it without any problem or having to stick it in a window

• by Anasuya

A couple years ago, before we moved into our wonderfully air conditioned condo, we lived in a cheap mobile home that was the equivalant of living in a tin box in the middle of our summers. The temperatures inside the house were reaching well into the 90’s, and all we had were window fans to keep us as cooled down as possible. I couldn’t handle it anymore so we went out and bought a window air conditioning unit, but because the trailer was so cheaply made, the windows actually couldn’t support the weight of our unit, which wasn’t even one of the big ones. I came home from work one day to see that my husband had cut up his arm trying to catch the air conditioner as it tried to plummet out of the window to the ground outside, and we knew we couldn’t deal with these window units anymore.

We invested the money and bought this Royal Sovereign Portable Air Conditioner Model ARP- 9009TL

which had 9,000 BTU’s and could easily cool down one of the bedrooms if nothing else. It was a bit more expensive than a regular air conditioner, at a little over $300, but I didn’t care as long as it saved me from the heat and managed to cool down a room or two. We quickly discovered it was still too small an air conditioner to cool down our living room, kitchen and dining area which was essentially one big room and the largest in the mobile home, but it worked perfectly for the bedrooms. We would alternate and keep it in the kids room one night, our room the next, and even the living room some nights. If we left it in the living room and closed all the other doors in the house, after a couple days it was actually cool enough and there were times we all just camped in that one room for the night.

This air conditioner has a lot of ...

• great features to it. It says it’s lightweight, only weighing 79 pounds, but if you ask me, that’s still just as much as a window unit, but this is an air conditioner you don’t have to keep in the window and it had a nice sleek look to it which meant I didn’t mind just keeping it in a corner of the living room. It a thermostate range of 62-88 degrees, so you can set it per temperature, and not one of those low, medium and high things. I really appreciated that about this, and that alone made it worth the money, because I could set it at 70 degrees, for instance, and it would shut itself off once it reached that temperature. The older window units would just run until you turned it down or turned it off. It’s got nice digital controls and a good LCD, so no more dialing in the temperature settings.

It also has a fan only setting, and when it’s

on the fan mode, it has a dehumidifier that will remove a lot of moisture per day. Our summers can get outrageously humid, and this has helped a lot to keep the room feeling nice and cool and DRY, which is ultra important to me. But the big thing that I loved about it was that there was no dripping anywhere. With our window unit, we had to tip it to empty the water that gathered in it, or it would drip inside the house and down the wall underneath the window. This air conditioner self-evaporates all of the water so you don’t have to mess with that at all. This is by far the best portable air conditioner I could ever imagine owning. We still have it too even though we have air conditioning in our house, and when our air conditioner went out late this summer, we were able to pull this out and use it without any problem or having to stick it in a window.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 536101287911231/k2311a106/10.6.10