The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott book  » Books  »
  • But, I have to say, I found the novel somewhat disappointing
  • The problem comes with characterization and story telling
  • I don't usually think movie adaptations are better than the books, but I enjoyed the movie a lot more
  • In fact, I think the movie is an example of fulfilling the potential the book might have had if it had been written either when Alcott was older, or even if she had worked on it a little more when she first wrote it

• by Angelwriter

Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women, wrote The Inheritance when she was seventeen. It was her first novel, but she never submitted it for publication. It wasn’t published until 1997.

I was pretty excited to read this, since I’ve read her books from the time I was a little girl. I also saw the tv movie version of the novel and liked it. It’s an old fashioned romance. But, I have to say, I found the novel somewhat disappointing. It’s pretty clear that it was written

by a teenager without revision or editing that I’m sure her later books went through. There aren’t any grammatical errors or misspellings. The problem comes with characterization and story telling. First, there’s too much telling and not showing. Characters give long speeches explaining their motives or think in long paragraphs about the same thing, rather than allowing the reader to find out about their personalities through their actions. It’s probably the style of writing back then, since there’s some exposition and telling in Little Women, but it’s much less.

• You can discover the people in that book primarily through what they do and how they act, rather than speeches, which is what The Inheritance gives. Some of the characters also seem cartoonish and inconsistent. The villains are very broadly painted and seem to have no redeeming values. But, at the same time, they switch sides and discover goodness that was never shown before. I don’t usually think movie adaptations are better than the books, but I enjoyed the movie a lot more.

That isn’t to say the novel

is terribly bad. Except for a few medium sized changes, the movie stays pretty close to the plot and I did enjoy the movie. It just clearly is the work of a teenager who wrote without the benefit of an editor or, I imagine, much revision on her own. In fact, I think the movie is an example of fulfilling the potential the book might have had if it had been written either when Alcott was older, or even if she had worked on it a little more when she first wrote it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 176101287651231/k2311a106/10.6.10