Home Chrome Garment Rack from Target
0.5
  • I bought three of these as I needed some temporary clothes storage
  • I thought each of the components felt solid and well made, and I like the fact that there was an extendable rail either side of the hanging rail
  • A quick waggle of the rack, and I thought it felt pretty sturdy
  • With only a couple of suits hanging and a few shirts I noticed that the rails were no longer entirely vertical
  • Not ideal, I agree, but at least I can now use the three rails until I find something more permanent

• by npz

The Target Home Eco Chrome Garment Racks are cheap at around $20, and there is a reason. They are so flimsy, it is untrue?

I bought three of these as I needed some temporary clothes storage. When opened, all of the parts were very well packaged and come with easy to follow assembly instructions. I thought each of the components felt solid and well made, and I like the fact that there was an extendable rail either side of the hanging rail. So far so good. Assembly was easy, albeit I was a little unsure the poles had fitted into the sockets completely, and took less

than 5 minutes with no tools needed whatsoever. After assembly, I was left with a pretty impressive looking garment rail with shoe rack at the bottom and extendable arms at the top. A quick waggle of the rack, and I thought it felt pretty sturdy. I wheeled the racks into place, nice usable wheels on the four corners of the rack, and proceeded to hang clothes.

What a complete and utter disaster. With only a couple of suits hanging and a few shirts I noticed that the rails were no longer entirely vertical. I nudged the rail, and sure enough, it swayed back to its starting position.

I thought I had been too exuberant in hanging and tried to be more careful, but no, it started to lean again. This time, I moved clothes away from the lean, leaving one end empty of clothes and it seemed to stabilize. This rack just moves all over the place.

Next morning, one rack had fallen over, one was leaning to the left at almost 45 degrees and one had twisted so that one side was leaning forwards and the other was leaning backwards. Not a great start. And still, I had put hardly any clothes on at all!

The problem? It seems that all the parts are sturdy,

• Home Chrome Garment Rack from Target
      except for the plastic joint that joins the vertical chrome bars with the horizontal chrome shoe rack. This is where all of the stress lies, and the plastic just can’t cope with any weight at all. Given you have metal poles for the rest of the rack, I cannot imagine why you would then use a soft piece of plastic at the point that takes all of the stress and weight.

My temporary clothes rails needed an urgent temporary fix – here it is. Firstly, put something heavy across the shoe rack to stop the rail falling over. Secondly, work out which way the rail leans, and put that

end against a wall. Not ideal, I agree, but at least I can now use the three rails until I find something more permanent. Or so I thought. This worked for a bit, until I came in one morning to find the plastic had just shattered. No repairing, no temporary fix, just plain broken!

I wouldn’t buy these again. They are cheap, but there is a reason for that. If someone is looking for a rail, make sure you look carefully at the joints at the bottom, those, in hindsight, are the most important part of the construction. And don’t buy these. Unless you are hanging feathers, these will break.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 536101287531231/k2311a106/10.6.10