Sephora Professionnel #60 Platinum Square Retractable Lip Brush  » Cosmetics  »
  • For most of the time, I enjoy applying creamy lip colors with this brush
  • If I like my lipgloss to be more evenly dispersed, I use this tool to achieve a super smooth texture without puckering
  • I also noticed that my lipstick lasts longer this way than the standard procedure
  • The only thing I dislike is the length of the tool
  • I definitely recommend this retractable lip brush for travel-friendly personal use, albeit not for professional purposes

• by jhunie

I only keep a few implements inside my makeup bag to accompany me to work. Of all vanity stuff, brushes are the least portable to lug around one’s purse. But I couldn’t live without them. I acquired the idea of using a lip brush from a sudden craze for creamy lip palettes. I fell in love relatively to this formula of lipsticks plus the deed of painting my own lips. I shifted to this method of application. I figured it’s important that I get a dedicated lip brush to complement my lip palettes. I purchased this platinum square retractable lip brush from Sephora. I first thought the notion of a retractable brush was cool and it might do me more favor if I needed to pack up light on short trips.

For most of the time, I enjoy applying creamy lip colors with this brush. The lip brush works best for rich lipsticks, palettes and those with mousse cores. I don’t think lip brushes would complement matte lipsticks. I just love the painterly feel of using this brush and the freedom of mixing different lip colors. I usually combine 2 relative shades of lip colors, I use this brush to line the corners of my mouth with a darker shade, then finish off with the main shade. The brush gives a sharp effect while the 2-toned shades

add some dimension for a fuller fix. The bristles are soft. They seem sturdy enough but I occasionally see a bit of shedding over time, especially after disinfecting it. I don’t clean the brush often because it stays clean inside its compact case. But I still like to wash it regularly so the residue doesn’t mix and contaminate my other lip shades.

The brush itself has a stubbier shape than my former lip brush. Previously, I was fortunate to indulge in lip palettes and generally lip compacts since I got a Laura Mercier lip glace which already contained a proprietary brush applicator. I’m personally more partial to the latter brush because of its pointed tip. I probably got used to it as well. This portable lip brush takes the beating in terms of precision. Granted that compact design is the major criteria, then clearly this lip brush is the winner. But I wish the brush is bestowed with a more tapered cut so I could apply with better accuracy, especially when rimming the borders of the mouth. I don’t absolutely mean the brush is incapable of doing this, it is possible but it takes a lot of time to create a faultless perfect lip line because of the blunt end of this brush. Some moisture-rich lipsticks and palettes could possibly clump while running over the sides and may ...

• bleed after I pucker my mouth. The bristles of this brush somewhat flares outward as you place it flat over the lips. Hence, not exactly what you call a fool-proof lip brush. That’s why a tapered pointy lip brush to me is more versatile.

If I like my lipgloss to be more evenly dispersed, I use this tool to achieve a super smooth texture without puckering. I hate puckering or pursing my lips afterwards to distribute the lip products because at times, I end up with a slightly streaky finish – for lacquers and very thick glossers that are sticky. Pursing my mouth would only make the lip gloss migrate to my teeth. Likewise, I get more control by using a lip brush so the pigments don’t stray. This takes time though. I actually adapted this method from youtube tutorials. Lip brushes don’t only provide a more customizable result, but they also allow the lipstick to really cover the crevices of the lips, avoiding any possibility of feathering which is an occasional disaster for rub-it-on lipsticks. I also noticed that my lipstick lasts longer this way than the standard procedure.

Perhaps the defining quality of this tool is not really on the average brush itself, rather it’s the innovative, retractable piece of hardware that contains, at the same time, protects the brush. And I really love its mechanical build.

The surface looks like brushed metal – thus, the name platinum comes to mind. The physical design of this lip brush is very industrial. When the compact case is closed, it resembles a silver pen. I like the square shape of the pen. It’s like a miniature scalpel which provides a better grip on the hand due to its angular form instead of the basic rounded handle of most brushes. It feels quite tangible to hold the brush. The only thing I dislike is the length of the tool; I believe working over the lips doesn’t really require a lengthy handle. To retract the brush out, you just yank either any of the 2 segments of the brush, I usually pull either ends and the bristles pop out mechanically. This extends the length of the handle which feels less intuitive as I maneuver the brush. To retract the brush in, you just join the 2 segments back – like the clicking action of mascara upon closing it.

This portable lip brush is perfect for traveling, no need for brush cards and organizers. I guess I’ll turn all my makeup brushes to retractable ones to free up some space inside my bag, this lip brush was a catalyst in my arsenal. It costs 11 dollars. I definitely recommend this retractable lip brush for travel-friendly personal use, albeit not for professional purposes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 314101285251231/k2311a104/10.4.10