Movie: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein  » Movies  »
  • My wife decided to have a night out with her friends Friday night and, since I was left home with the kids, I decided to take advantage of it and spend some quality time with my two girls
  • I love monster movies and the thing I like about this one is the fact you have two of the most famous monster movie actors of their era, Lon Chaney Jr
  • This is a fantastic old movie that I would recommend watching

• by Review Vigilante

My wife decided to have a night out with her friends Friday night and, since I was left home with the kids, I decided to take advantage of it and spend some quality time with my two girls. My youngest was in bed shortly after my wife left (she gets exhausted after being at her grand parents’ house all day) but my oldest was still wide awake so I decided to share a piece of my childhood with her and watch Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. I first saw this movie when I was about my daughter’s age (my

brother and I snuck out to watch it one night when my mom was working and my dad was sleeping) and fell in love with the movie to the point I make an effort to watch it at least once a year now.

My daughter has watched other Abbott and Costello movies with me in the past and has liked them. But, she is also not a huge fan of black and white films so I wasn’t sure what to expect when we started this one.

However, I didn’t need to worry. She immediately became a fan.

I love ...

• monster movies and the thing I like about this one is the fact you have two of the most famous monster movie actors of their era, Lon Chaney Jr. and Bela Lugosi performing in their most famous roles; Dracula and the Wolf Man (Chaney also apparently played Frankenstein’s monster for a couple scenes too).

Also, the plot itself isn’t too bad. You have Abbott and Costello working as shipping clerks and, because of their job, end up in the middle of a plot to bring Frankenstein’s monster back to life (though I’m not really sure why Dracula wanted to

do that).

On top of it, Costello’s character is needed because the monster needs a new brain. Some of the jokes are very familiar if you’ve seen other Abbott and Costello movies.

But, there is such a strong supporting cast, you have plenty of other moments that are just downright funny. My daughter was laughing hysterically throughout the movie to the point I was afraid she would wake her sister and didn’t budge from her seat.

Even more important was the fact she wanted to watch it again the next day. This is a fantastic old movie that I would recommend watching; especially with Halloween around the corner.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114101285171231/k2311a104/10.4.10