Corel Home Office Software  » Software  »
  • I write up a lot of documents that I later want to create a PDF file with, but I hate using Adobe itself because it's a complicated program, and I hadn't at the time found a software that would convert a word document to a PDF file, so that was one of the reasons I bought the Corel Home Office Software
  • It doesn't save spaces and new lines the way I wanted it to and that was frustrating to constantly have to go back and fix that kind of problem
  • There aren't drop down menus with this program, which some might consider an upgrade, but I find annoying
  • Granted, it may not be a bad thing to have Office on your computer, because when job hunting secretarial jobs, most places want you to have experience in Microsoft Office, but I'm content to know that Corel suits my needs at home and is easier to use

• by Anasuya

I write up a lot of documents that I later want to create a PDF file with, but I hate using Adobe itself because it’s a complicated program, and I hadn’t at the time found a software that would convert a word document to a PDF file, so that was one of the reasons I bought the Corel Home Office Software. It was easy to install and it can read ans ave documents in multiple file types which was nice, and it has it’s own PDF creation tools. I have a netbook as well and needed software that wasn’t huge, in regards to storage, and this one has a small megabyte “footprint” that wont eat up all your available harddrive space.

The first thing I didn’t like about it however is that when I went to copy something from one document to paste it

in another type of document (ie word pad to works or office), the text looked all messed up. It doesn’t save spaces and new lines the way I wanted it to and that was frustrating to constantly have to go back and fix that kind of problem.

There aren’t a ton of features in this software, or too many that will have you scratching your head wondering where to start, but there are just enough to get the job done for the most part. It’s affordable too, and it can do a lot more than word pad or anything like that. I don’t have a lot of office needs, which is why I didn’t continue the Microsoft office trial that was on my netbook when I purchased it, but this Corel Home Office Software had basic spreadsheets and presentation type of document features that ...

• would be sufficient enough for me.

It has a flash installation, which was nice, because my netbook doesn’t have a CD drive, but I have three USB ports that are open for use. And it only took about five minutes to install it and only took up 100MB of disk space, and when you compare that to 1.5GB of space for Microsoft Office, you gotta figure that you’re doing good in saving space.

There are three applications, write, calculate or show, and you can click on one of those when launching the program and that will take you where you want to be. There aren’t drop down menus with this program, which some might consider an upgrade, but I find annoying. I will almost always prefer drop down menus to the ribbon layout that a lot of programs sport these days, because I just

think it’s a space saver.

Corel mirrors Office in a lot of ways, especially visually, but I actually found that it’s easier to use, especially when creating a spreadsheet. Granted, it may not be a bad thing to have Office on your computer, because when job hunting secretarial jobs, most places want you to have experience in Microsoft Office, but I’m content to know that Corel suits my needs at home and is easier to use. And lo and behold, when I complained to a friend of mine who uses Corel about the fact that it doesn’t have drop down menus, he told me that you can switch the look with a quick click of the button that I had totally missed, and then I had the perfect program because it reminded me of Word Perfect, which I loved. Great program for the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 304101284971231/k2311a104/10.4.10